Thursday, August 11, 2011

Instill Good Study Skills Now!

A friend of mine and I were talking about my 7 year old twins and how they were in 2nd grade and how, this year, they learn the multiplication table. This scares me, because a math wiz, I am not. Far from it, actually. According to adult aptitude tests, I only have a 9th grade math level (but I'm great at English!). The further in school they get, the more it scares me when we talk about math!
During this conversation, my friend suggested I read a book called "Outliers: The Story of Success" by Malcolm Gladwell (it's on my list of things to look for! lol). We talked about the study skills I am instilling my children. I decided to blog about them and hopefully, they will help you out!
Keep in mind, my children ARE 7 (and 2) and ARE only in the 2nd grade. If you have older kids, you can adjust accordingly.
When the kids get home from school, I allow them time to have a snack and use the restroom. During this time, I go through their folders and see what we have for the day. This year, it will more than likely be reading, math, and spelling. I have one work on reading while I work on the spelling and math with the other, then they switch out. This allows us to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. When the one that was reading first is done, I have them tell me about the story, then I sign the log and we move on to the other work. While we do that, the one who did the math and spelling first is reading. When they get done, we go over what they've read and the log is signed.
We do this, Monday through Thursday, without fail. They are not permitted to watch TV or go outside and play until their homework is done!
I also require that they read for 30 minutes before bed. This gives them time to wind down, but also to improve their reading skills. I love reading, as does my husband, so we want to instill this in the kids as well.
After they do their chores, they are allowed 1 hour of TV time (30 minutes for each kid), then we try to go outside to play. During this time, we talk about their day, have mini reviews, all that, without them even knowing it!
This is just the way we do it. If you are having a hard time getting your child to study, maybe this can help.
As the year progresses and I improve in this blogging thing, I might try to add some free printables for various things to help you all. I know there are some that help me too!

1 comment:

  1. Visisting from GumDrops blog.
    I like your blog. Very fun.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?