Thursday, August 11, 2011

Random Acts of Kindness

I've somewhat posted about this before, but I felt the need to do it again.
As you can tell by the title of this post, I'm going to talk about random acts of kindness. You never know how doing something so small can make someones day a lot better. Admittedly, I don't take time to do random acts of kindness as often as I'd like. Life and my own mood sometimes seems to get in the way.
This morning, I went to Walmart to get something for me crew for dinner. The annual festival for my town is underway and my husband has to work it tonight for his company, so I knew it was now or never to get dinner. As I pushed the cart with my toddler around, all I could think about was how tired I was and how I was wanting to take a nap. I got to the check out lane and loaded my 10 items on the belt, anxious to get out of the store. The lady in front of me was finished up her transaction. I noticed the person behind me had one item.
Now, I don't know about you, but I HATE when I have one item and the person in front of me has several and they won't let me go first. I know, it's petty, but it just irks me. So, I told the lady that, because she had one item, she could go first. She thanked me and explained to me that she was in a hurry, that she was running late for work, but she had to stop in and get something. She walked out of Walmart with a smile on her face, because of that act of kindness.
I didn't expect anything in return. But I got a thank you and I got the reward of putting a smile on someones face. I hope this ladies day was brightened just a little bit.
If we all took the time out of our hectic lives to just do one random act of kindness, however small it may be, I think it would make a HUGE difference. Let someone go ahead of you in line if they don't have a lot of items. Pay for someones coffee. Help someone load their groceries. Hold the door for someone. It doesn't matter how big or small, more often than not, that little act of kindness comes back in a big way.

2 comments:

  1. Amen - this is so great!! I wish more people did random acts of kindness! I'm sure you totally made the lady's day. I try to do that as often as I can or people! Surprisingly enough, not many people take me up on it! ox

    <3-Cami from First Day of My Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I do believe that the little things in life can have a bigger impact than we know.
    We live in rainy Illinois and dont have great umbrellas...most are old promotional ones...so I finally decided to spend some extra $$ on a good umbrella since I will be out at my boys' practices and games every day, going to school and work etc.
    SO anyway, it was really raining hard the other day and I saw a familiar homeless woman walking with her head held high with all her bags getting pelted and saturated! I pulled the car over, jumped out of the car, opened the umbrella and asked her if she might like to have it. She was SO happy to be protected from the storm. I did this instinctively as I do these things often, but it wasnt until I overheard my young son talking about it that I realized what an impact it had had on him!! Im glad that he related to this and feels strongly about helping others too. Also, as I pulled back out into traffic, a woman pulled up next to me and with a thumbs up said, "That was awesome, god bless you". yeah! :)
    - jenny at dapperhouse

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?