Sunday, February 19, 2012

Prohibition. REALLY?!

Corbin says "yes" to package alcohol sales


THIS was the main news maker in my town last week.
I work for the oldest newspaper in my town. It's a 6 day a week publication. I'm the accounting clerk, which means I do the billing for the advertisers.
Working at the paper means that I get to know the news before most other people.
On February 14, my town had a held a vote to determine if we would remain a "moist" city (meaning you can by alcohol by the drinks at restaurants, but can't purchase it by the package) or go entirely wet, selling alcohol by the package.
By a vote of 887 yes to 789 no, my town is now going to be wet.
That this is even still an ISSUE in 2012 is amazing. Naturally, there are people who are just plain up in arms over this, for one reason or another, most of them being religious.
Personally, I'm THRILLED that this is taking place. I'm almost 30 years old...if I want to have a glass of wine at night, I shouldn't have to drive an hour or more to get it.
I'm not sure when the sales will actually start, but rumor has it, really soon.
So I ask you, readers...what do YOU think about the legalization of alcohol sales? Do you wish it were illegal in your area?

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't bother me. My town is strict with liquor licenses for restaurants. Currently there are only two available and one belongs to the hotel on the beach that has weddings and the other to a restaurant.
    Interesting information!
    Following from Super Stalker Sunday.
    Jenny @ www.sippycupchronicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in a small town with a similar issue...lol I nearly felt guilty for wondering why I, a grown woman, could not make the choice for myself? Well we are a military and have moved away from there thank goodness. But I can relate and found this very interesting! Brought back memories. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?