Friday, March 9, 2012

Take Out At Home: Pepper Steak

Times are tough right now, for everyone, myself included. And sometimes, I get this overwhelming craving for some Chinese. Sure, I could go spend $14.30 for my husband and I to eat lunch at the local buffet, but in a time where we need to pinch our pennies, it's just not practical.
So what is a girl to do?
Why make her own of course!
Pepper steak isn't our absolute favorite, but the one time we tried to make our favorite (Coconut chicken), we failed horribly. (But every couple needs that one dinner horror story, right?) But pepper steak is pretty much fool proof and it's a safe bet that I'm gonna make a good batch of it, so why not?

What You'll Need:
Beef cut for stir fry (most stores carry this in the meat department). How much you'll need depends on your family size, but we use two packages.
2 bottles of teriyaki sauce (personally, I prefer La Choy  brand, as it's sweeter. What I used in the pictures below was the store brand and was WAY too salty)
2 good size green bell peppers
2 good size onions
white rice

Start by peeling and cutting an onion. The size of your onion slices is up to you

Next, de-seed the peppers and cut them into strips

After that, add the meat. If you want to double up the meat, cut the strips in half

Add the teriyaki sauce. How much depends on how strong of flavor you want. I use one and a half bottles

I would much rather use a bowl with a lid, but I didn't have one. This is what it looks like when mixed together


Let the mix marinade in the fridge over night. I always prepare mine when I make dinner the night before I plan to have it, then let it marinade over night, shaking or stirring it a few times during the day.

This is what the finished product looks like. Just cook it in a pan or pot until the meat is done.

I LOVE the easiness of boil in a bag rice. We like white rice with it, but use whatever rice you like

Serve over rice on some fine China (as you can see, I picked a pretty generic design lol)
Give it a shot and let me know if you like it!


NUTRITIONAL INFO (estimated):
Calories: 728
Carbs: 127
Fat: 12
Protein: 40

No comments:

Post a Comment

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?