Monday, April 2, 2012

Books..What A Wonderful Escape!

I am an avid reader.
There, I said it.
For as long as I can remember, I've been a big fan of reading. Nothing is better than curling up under a blanket with some coffee or hot chocolate, and escaping into a world that isn't yours. You can be a hero, you can be a victim, you can be a detective...you can be whatever you want.
Naturally, as I've grown up, so has my taste in books. As a little girl, I loved reading The Babysitter Club books. as a tween, I was into Fear Street. As a teenager, I started reading books like Sweet Valley High and romance novels.
Some of my favorite books from childhood are: "Totally Disgusting" by Bill Wallace, "My Darling, My Hamburger" by Paul Zindel, "The Pinballs" by Betsy Byers, "A Wrinkle In Time" by Madeleine L'Engle, just to name a few.
As an adult, I discovered such books like the "Sleeping Beauty Trilogy" by A. N. Roquelaure, "The Revolution of Little Girls" by Joanne Proulx, "19 Minutes" by Jodi Picoult, "The Perks of Being A Wallflower" by Stephen Chybosky.
Of all the books I've read as an adult, two authors stick out to be my favorite. One of them is Julie Kenner and her series featuring Kate Connor, the demon-hunting soccer mom. These books are funny, suspenseful and will keep you on the edge of your seat. They reach out to you as a reader, a mother, and a demon hunter (hey, you might be into that kind of thing! Ya never know! lol). If you are wondering what would happen when Buffy The Vampire Slayer grew up and had kids, this is the book for you.
The other author is Rachel Vincent. She wrote a series of 6 books called the Shifter series. It's about a young, 20-something woman that is a werecat and wanting to change the rules. These books are SO awesome and I was heartbroken when she ended the series, because I want to know more! She's also working on another series called the Unbound series. She's working on the second book, but the first one, "Blood Bound" is really good. You really just can't go wrong with any books by Rachel Vincent.
Are you a reader? What are some of your favorite books? I'm always looking for new reads!

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're a reader because I'm a writer. Two books will be published next month. The first I co-wrote with an internet friend. Wind Over Troubled Waters is a futuristic Fantasy, and the second my Still Rock Water is paranormal. I hope you'll read them one day. I've got ten more ready to publish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Books are the perfect B! I'm not familiar with some of your recommendations, but I'll check them out. I'm currently looking for my next favorite book!

    Jenny
    Choice City Native A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. enjoyed reading your post on books! we are book lovers in our house - agreed, there is nothing like curling up with a good book and losing yourself.
    look forward to reading other A to Z posts.
    cheers,
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it difficult to curl up with hot chocolate or any drink, actually. I'm holding the book, flipping pages, sipping, holdinig the cup... and usually my son is jumping on me, i lose my place in the (borrowed) book just as the hot drink spills all over the blanket, book, son, and myself.

    but seriously, i love getting lost in books. always have. glad i found you on a-z!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love books - just wish I had time to read for pleasure. I read a great series awhile back by Don Brown - the Navy Justice series. I prefer criminology, psychological thrillers or historical fiction. What a perfect "B" word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wanting to find something to read soon that will take me away--loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading. The escape is so wonderful! I hope my novels one day, will be able to affect others and be an escape for those who need it.

    Konstanz Silverbow
    nothoughts2small.blogspot.com
    thewriterace.blogspot.com
    A to Z c-host
    www.a-to-zchallenge.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Books are the best blog material! Good luck with the Challenge.
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?