Friday, April 6, 2012

Friends: Family or Just Friends?

I have a couple of friends that I've known since I was 5 years old. I feel blessed (and a little old) to be able to say "I've known them for 25 years". It's pretty awesome, if you ask me.
Today, one of them, her name is Tracy, came over with her two kids, which just ticked my kids. We sat here for a few hours and just talked, about everything. Even though we live only about a mile away, we are both super busy and have a hard time getting together. She's coming back over tomorrow, to help with a yard sale.
Her sister is the other friend. She lives in a different town, but we try to get together as much as possible. She also has two kids and our kids LOVE getting together to play. She and I talk about just about anything and always catch up to the best of our ability.
My other best friend is Patty. We've been friends for roughly 15 years or so. The band Hanson (remember them? "Mmmbop") brought us together on that fateful day she offered to share her locker with me. We've had our ups and downs, but this girl is literally my voice of reason. She's always there to help me, to talk to me and she helps me find the answers I'm seeking by GUIDING me, not by telling me.
I've also been blessed with some amazing friends that, sadly, live in a different town entirely. My friend Jill is my slap in the face when I need it. She doesn't sugar coat anything, she tells it how it is with that brash Boston accent of hers. But she's also quick to let me know she loves me and she's on my side. My friend Nicole is my "we've gone through this together" friend. Just about everything we've gone through has mirrored what the other has gone through. The stories we could tell.....some funny, some hilarious, some "wow, really?" moments....all of them good.
I wasn't a popular kid growing up, as you might have guessed. I was the "weird" one. I had only a handful of friends and I find it ironic that, when I was a kid, I wanted a ton of friends, but now that I'm older, I only want a handful of GOOD friends.
I feel like I've been blessed to have the friends that I do. Tracy, Pam, and Patty all have kids right around MY kids' age and we always talk about how we hope that THEY all grow up and can say "We are still friends after 25 years". We joke that we will be that motley crew at the nursing home, checking out the old men and just being general pains in the staffs collected butts.
Tell me about your closest friends.....I love to hear stories!

1 comment:

  1. I have been blessed to have the same couple of friends for years - they are the best!! We have moved around a lot so it made it harder to keep friends for more than a season so those couple of friends are cherished.

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?