Saturday, April 7, 2012

Growing Pains

As much as it pains me to say, on December 10 of this year, I will be 30.
Can someone tell me when this happened? Or even WHY? LoL
For the longest time, I DREADED turning 30. Then, one day, I woke up and realized, well, I can't stop it, so I might as well embrace it.
This, my last year in my 20's, was suppose to be life altering...and I suppose there's still a chance for it to be. I wanted to use this last year in my 20's as a growing experience, a chance to lose weight and enter my 30's a happier, healthier, more spiritually balanced me. Sounds good, right? Now, it's just actually doing it.
Being a grown up has it perks. I can eat ice cream whenever the heck I want and I can stay up all night if I decide to. The reality? Ice cream makes me sick to my stomach and I'm lucky if I can stay up past 10! If I could go back in time and meet the younger version of me, I'd shake myself and tell myself to slow the heck down and enjoy childhood. I HATE paying bills, having to keep the house clean, do my own laundry, and cook dinner. I despise grocery shopping and having to remember if we need toilet paper. And DRIVING? I remember how EXCITED I was to get my license. NOW, my husband and I argue over who HAS to drive, not who GETS to.
I get out of bed and things pop that I didn't know could. Pizza gives me heartburn. I find myself looking at kids these days and shaking my head. And the worst thing of all....when I say certain things to my kids, I SWEAR it's my mother talking!
But the best thing of being a grown up, for me at least, is having kids and being married. I get told, every day, by at least 4 people, that they love me. I get to wake up with the man I love (even if he is either snoring or taking up the whole bed) and spend time with 3 of the greatest blessings of all, my kids. I get to see new things through young eyes again. It's pretty cool.
Huh....maybe being a grown up as bad as I thought it was.
Share with me, if you will, your stories of either growing up or being a grown up.

5 comments:

  1. I turned 24 in February so am kind of at that limbo-y stage of life where you're definitely NOT a kid anymore (my 16 year old cousin seems SO much younger than me these days), but you're not really a proper adult yet (friends in their 30s are always sighing and telling me that I'm "so young").

    I quite like not having the responsibility of my own family (and bills!) yet but I'm certainly starting to think about how nice it must be to have that stability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the kid part is the best and wait until you have grand-kids---it is officially okay to brag on them all you like!--great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only just turned twenty, and I can tell you it was Serious Business. No longer being a teenager was a big deal. Time flies so fast! (And I hope pizza never gives me heartburn. I love it so much!)

    Good luck with the challenge!

    Dianna Fielding
    sociologyfornerds.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am 33 and I have never been happier in my whole life. I had a pretty adventerous, crazy, fulfilling decade during my 20's so I feel like I got that part of my life lived and am happy to move on and relish the memories of those crazy days. We always joke to that we now celebrate the X anniversary of our 29th birthday instead of the 3X birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have the same birthday as my son. Don't worry about turning 30...I think our 30s are the best decade of our lives. Enjoy them because they go too fast.
    Rhia from Five Minute Piece for Inspiration (around # 800 on the A through Z list)

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?