Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Chores For Kids

This is the last week of school for my kids and I've decided that this summer will not be a wasted one. They will be 8 this summer and we are slowly teaching them to do things on their own. For example, in the past, when it came time for showers, we got the shower ready for them and, with our daughter, we'd wash her hair for her. Recently, we've taught them to start the shower themselves and her how to wash her hair herself.
So, this summer, we are teaching them to be more responsible with their money. Every time we go somewhere, the first words out of their mouths are "Can we buy this?" or "Can we go here and eat?". They think we are made of money. So, to teach them to be fiscally responsible, we are going to give them daily chores and an allowance of $5 a week. We are going to teach them about spending and saving. They both love to shop...him at the video game store and the comic book shop, her at Rue 21. So, we are going to teach them that, if they want something, they need to save.
Over the course of the summer, we are going to teach them how to help with dishes and laundry. Basically, with the laundry, they will be required to bring their clothes to the laundry room, help with getting the water going, and putting their clothes in the washer, then they'll help with getting them out of the dryer and putting them away.
I was recently told that, as a stay at home mom, my children shouldn't have chores, that it's MY job to clean the house, etc, etc. Sure, it is, for the most part. But kids need to learn responsibility and I think chores are good. Even our almost 3 year old will have chores (picking up her toys and helping with things that I know she likes to do and can do). I feel it's important for them to learn the basics of how to care for their home and take pride in their belongings, because one day, they will be in their own home.
I've read that a lot of woman, traditional old fashion women, believe that their son's should go from their mother's home to their wife's home and not know how to take care of a house or even do their own laundry. Personally, I think this is just silly. In my home, we have traditional roles (my husband works, I take care of the home), but the man likes doing laundry, so I let him. And I see nothing wrong with it.
Do your kids have chores? What kind of chores would you recommend for two 8 year olds?

1 comment:

  1. I think that is old thinking about going from the mother to the wife. A lot of my social group all went to college, and did not marry until 26-28. My husband told me that he used to pay girls in the dorms to do his laundry. When he moved to the fraternity he had to suck it up and learn to do his own laundry though. He never had a to cook in college and wishes he knew more about cooking now. My son will be taugh to cook and clean, it's super important for them to have those priorities!

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?