Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My Religous Coming Out

"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."
                                                                      - Dalai Lama 

Religion is a very sensitive topic for a lot of people and one that I've not touched on yet.
I am not a Christian.
SHEW! Man, it feels good to make that confession!
I believe in a higher power...we'll call it God. I can't look at my children, at the beauty of Mother Nature, and NOT believe that there is something out there bigger than us. I honestly never could.
I believe that Jesus existed. I have science there to back that up, as it has been proven, the man was real. However, I don't believe he was the son of God, because I don't believe that God is anything more than an energy. I believe he was the son of Mary and Joseph. I believe he was crucified, not for our sins, but because he had radical beliefs. I don't believe he came back to life after 3 days, I think his body was moved.
I don't put a lot of stock into the bible, simply because it has been translate many times over (seriously, they are doing another version of it that is written as if it were a screenplay!). I think you can find comfort and possibly guidance, but I don't think you should live your entire life based on what it says.
I'm not sure what happens to us when we die. I don't think ANYONE knows, until we die. I like to think there's a place in the hereafter that allows us to reunite with our loved ones....maybe that gives me some comfort, I don't know. I don't want to find out any time soon though.
Having said all that, I DO pray, because it brings me peace. I DO enjoy going to church, because it brings me peace. But I suppose the logical side of me is more powerful than the faith side of me, because there are some things that I just can't get on board with...logically, they don't make sense.
However, I'm an extremely tolerant person and I never belittle those who ARE Christians and who believe differently than me. I don't hold any animosity toward any religious sect, except for maybe those at Westboro Baptist, and I pity them more than anything. 
To be perfectly honest, sometimes I wish I COULD have a stronger faith and be more like Christians. They see so happy most of the time, so at peace. Sometimes, it makes me wonder if I'm somehow broken or if maybe fear holds me back, because while I see a lot of good in Christians, there are many that I feel give that title a bad name. Those are the people that use their religion and their faith as a means to hate and that makes me sick. It seems rather hypocritical to me, because they tell you that God loves all, but then they spew hatred.
I was saved and baptized a Southern Baptist when I was a kid. I think I was saved at age 7 and baptized at age 9. I've since turned my back on religion and sought other paths. I still do that, in hopes of finding SOMETHING. So far, thought, it doesn't seem to be happening...I've not felt moved or inspired. When I go to church, I watch the people in awe, just amazed at how moved and uplifted they are.
Religion, as a whole, fascinates me. It always has, probably because I don't understand it and more than likely I try to find logical reasons for why things happen. But I enjoy learning about the different types of religion and what moves people to believe what they do. I don't think any one religion has it right and I never will. People believe what they believe and that's all there is to it. If there IS a Heaven, I think you just have to be a generally good person to get in and that's it.
What are your religious views? How did you come to feel this way? 

2 comments:

  1. And I so love we see hand in hand on this Jean panties. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Sarah!

    I appreciate your heart so much! You are on the path of life my friend….

    Religion has a Jerry Springer affect on a lot of people, one that says, "Look at them in their "law breaking" sin, I'm not that bad." It is obsessed with the "law" for it's justification. Or bound by the law in fear. I can imagine you got sick of religion like that quickly.

    People use the "law text" of their faith in MANY religions to justify themselves. But that is not true religion, it is a counterfeit.

    Think about it like this, following the letter of the law can't make a husband a good husband. A good husband doesn't need the text of the law to show that he is good. He is good because of his LOVE for his himself, his wife and his world around him. Religion has the same paradox.

    False religion uses the law to somehow "prove" your legitimacy…. excuse my candor… but it's bullshit. ;)

    True religion isn't found in the law of what was written at all. 2 Cor 3 describes the written law as obsolete. A government of condemnation (what is written) replaced by a government of affirmation (the spirit - love). Which creates a great paradox when you see so many "religious" people throwing their books at everyone, everywhere.

    True religion is something written on our hearts. (Clearly written on your heart!)
    True religion is seen in our behavior towards mankind. (Your are a true sister to me on the path of life…. keeping going! You are doing great!)

    True religion is found in the fruit of the spirit (Gal 5:22-23) and in LOVE 1 Cor 13. No law can contain true religion. Just like no law makes a husband good.

    Jesus describes that true religion hangs on two commandments.

    Love God with all my life, and love my neighbor as myself.

    That is all that matters. And that alone, as you have mentioned, takes a lot of work ;)

    So all that to say…. Sarah I am proud of you. You have found the true religion! You may have not known it's name and had plenty of people try to tell you that you are wrong and off the path….. ignore those voices….. you are following the voice…. my tip for your journey is follow the fruit! Good fruit lead to good understanding. I saw a picture of a mantle at an art show recently which had coats painted on canvas's that resembled/symbolized "mantles" in a person's life. Each mantle (coat) had a word written on them symbolizing the message of that mantles "identity" and what it had to offer in consideration of the competing mantles trying to be placed on us for our identity in our world. The one I gravitated to and want to share with you as you continue in your quest for understanding for what truly matters in life is this:

    Mantle of:

    Understanding

    It had an inscription underneath the word which read: A spring of life to those who have it.

    As you continue to put on this mantle of seeking understanding of what truly holds water and really matters in life, I want to encourage you and share with you that I have found that the accompanying statement is true…. seeking "understanding" becomes a spring of life as you continue to keep seeking it out.

    Be blessed in your journey and I am looking forward to all that our LOVING, KIND, GRACIOUS Father has for you!

    Your brother,

    Chad

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?