Thursday, August 2, 2012

They Grow Up So Fast

“If growing up means it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!”
J.M. Barrie
 
When I became a parent for the first time, I was told by many "Don't blink....you might miss something". I thought they were nuts, that my time as a mother to young children would be extremely slow and I'd have time to savor it.
Boy, was I wrong! 
I blinked and I have 8 year old's.
I blinked again and I have an almost 3 year old.
I gotta be honest, I don't like this in the least. I look at them and sometimes I see them as babies still. Especially Sebastian and Anastasia. It shocks me more and more, each day, at how big they've gotten. They are starting third grade this year and it just amazes how smart they are, how mature they can be (which isn't often, but still). They understand, for the most part, logic. Cause and effect, that kind of thing. I can sit and talk to them and have conversations with them. Cailin is getting to that point as well. When she goes to bed or takes a nap, she says "Good night, I love you, sweet dreams". WHAT?!? She tells me what she wants now. She makes choices. The other day, it took us 10 minutes to pick out her clothes because SHE wanted to pick them out.
I got my tubes tied, because pregnancy is hard on me and we felt complete as a family. But sometimes, I look at them and I just want my babies back. I miss that so much.
I use to think that them growing up and getting older meant that we were closer to them not needing us. But as an adult, I can say that I still need my mother. Not like I use to, but in different ways. And I know that, as my children grow older, our relationship will change. I hope we don't have a typical teen/parent relationship. I want my kids to continue to talk to me and to know that I'm here for them.
My advice to new parents.....don't blink. You might miss something.
Share with us your experience with your kids growing up.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?