Thursday, September 20, 2012

Bad Mommy....No Dessert For You

Have you seen this picture?
Jen from Life With Levi posted this on her Facebook page and, well, let's just say that it got ugly.
Fast.
All because of circumcision.
I have an 8 year old son and, I'll be honest here, I'd never really heard of NOT circumcising until I was pregnant with him. I thought it was something that was suppose to be done.
So when I found out that it wasn't, I did my research and I decided that, for us, it WAS suppose to be done, because I think it's the healthier choice. I realize that not everyone will agree with me and that's fine. But I really wish people would stop worrying so much about whether or not another woman's son is circumcised or not. 
Frankly, it's none of their business.
So, in honor of that picture, I decided to list the ways that I am a bad mom.
In no particular order......
  • From day one, I was a mother. That means, the day I saw Sebastian and Anastasia in bean form with their little hearts pulsating, I was a mom.
  • I don't ever let my kids leave, be it to go to school or somewhere else, without hearing me say that I love them. I want them to remember that always.
  • I let Cailin watch ENTIRELY too much TV, but at the same time, I see her actually LEARNING from it and I'm okay with it...because frankly, I haven't a clue how to teach her some of the things she's learning.
  • Some days, my depression gets the best of me.
  • One kid is my favorite on any given day. And it changes constantly.
  • I'm not a helicopter parent. I want my kids to explore on their own.
  • I make my kids say please, thank you, you're welcome, excuse me, etc. I have since day one. Because of it, my kids aren't shy about holding a door open for someone or helping someone pick something up or anything like that. I'm often told that I have very polite and well mannered kids.
  • I believe my kids are a reflection of me.
  • Every year, at Christmas time, I give my kids $10 each to go buy new toys (usually from DollarTree so they can get a lot), then we take those toys to various toy drives to donate. I want them know there are kids out there that aren't as lucky as them, because I don't ever want them to feel entitled.
  • I didn't breastfeed ANY of my kids. I tried after I had the twins, but 1) I wasn't putting out a lot of milk when I pumped and 2) when I actually TRIED to breastfeed, it just didn't feel natural to me. It felt wrong, I felt uncomfortable. When I had Cailin, people tried to push breastfeeding on me and I just wasn't having it. It took 6 months for my milk to dry up!
  • I didn't co-sleep. I DID, however, co-room with all of my kids. Cailin was a little over a year old when we moved her into Anastasia's room. She just recently got her own room.
  • I vaccinate according to when the DR tells me too. Why? Because he's a freaking DR and I'm not. Sorry, but I trust him.
  • I forward faced all of my kids at 1 and 20. I booster at 4. 
  • I used CIO. It worked.
  • I spank when needed
  • I kiss boo boos and hug and wipe away tears, but as long as I know they are okay, if obtaining the injury was funny, I'm going to laugh.
  • I don't believe in censorship. I curse like a sailor and so does my husband. I DO keep shows, movies, and books age appropriate, but not so much with music.
  • Dinner choices: Take it or Leave it....that simple. Either eat what I cook or don't eat.
  • We aren't Christian.
  • We ARE Liberal Democrats
  • Our kids know about the GLBT community and embrace it.
  • We allow our kids to dream.
  • Books are a MUST in this house!
  • My kids do chores and homework when they get home from school.
  • I think it's absolutely important that my kids see all sides of what a relationship is. So they see Matthew and I argue, they see us kiss, they see us be goofy with each other, etc.
  • If I could have one wish, it would be that my kids grow up and say that they were raised in a house full of love...that they got hugs, they saw their parents be affectionate with each other, and that because of it, they are moderately well adjusted.
I'm sure there are more, but those come to mind.
In our house, there is love like no other. We support our kids, but first and foremost, we are their parents, they are not our equals. It's silly when parents LET their kids become their equals. We expect our kids to respect us and to be polite and well mannered in public.
But the main thing is this.
We let our kids know how much we love them. We show them, tell them, daily, how much we love them and how much they mean to us.
Am I a bad mom? Maybe to some. But in THIS house, I'm pretty kick ass!
And that's awesome enough for me.
~Sarah

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?