Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tale Of The City Boy From South Detroit and The Smalltown Girl

Okay, so he is really from North Detroit, but that just wouldn't work as well.
Today is mine and Matthew's four year wedding anniversary. It has been one hell of a ride, to say the least, but it has been totally worth it. It occurred to me that I've never shared the story of how we met, so I figured today would be a good day for that.
In January of 2008, I moved to Kentucky from Florida. I'd broken up with the guy I was seeing the day after Christmas, I was out of work due to being laid off from a WONDERFUL job, and I was ready for a change. My Dad paid for me, Sebastian, and Anastasia to fly to Dayton, Ohio from West Palm Beach. It was a hard decision to make, because I was leaving my mother behind, but I knew I had to do it. I needed a change and something better for my kids.
In only a few months of living here, I'd managed to get a job, buy a car and get an apartment.
I'd also managed to find a boyfriend.
Let's just say that didn't work out, because....well, to be honest, it was more weird than I could handle! He just up and left one day, without saying bye or anything.
Oh well.
I'd joined a dating website called Plenty Of Fish, not really expecting to find someone I was going to spend my life with, but to find someone I could start a relationship with. 
Around the end of May, I got a message from this guy....I wasn't sure about him because his profile wasn't all that complete, but I thought....why not? So I replied and we exchanged yahoo handles. That night, we started chatting and we hit it off. We talked for about 3 hours about EVERYTHING, including music. He was on webcam and I thought "He's a pretty good lookin' fella, he's got great taste in music.....hmmm"
So we set up a time to meet. We were going to go to Starbucks and have coffee and talk in person. The day of the date, I'd gotten sick with a stomach bug, but I still went.
HE, on the other hand, stood me up.
*sigh*
So, we set up another date, for a local free concert. Once again, he stood me up. At this point, I figured he was playing games and we lost contact. I met someone else and started dating. That lasted about a month and a half and we called it quits.
In August of 2008, I decided to shoot the other guy a text, just to say hi. After a few weeks of texting and talking on the phone, we decided to meet in person and see a movie (cliche', I know).
I showed up at the theater and waited.
And waited.
And waited some more. I thought he wasn't going to show when I got a text explaining he was on the highway and stuck in traffic behind an accident.
This time, he showed up and we decided to get a drink at the restaurant instead of going to a movie. So we walked over there and went to the bar where he ordered a Jack and Coke and I got a Bud Light. Evidently, this hooked him completely. 
Matthew on our first date
After he drank a few drinks, we decided we wanted to go to the Mill at Levi Jackson and watch the ducks and talk some more. I waited (and waited and waited) for him to make a move and it just wasn't going to happen.
I thought for sure he wasn't in to me.
We decided it was getting late and, though I didn't want the night to end, we went back to his car and said our goodbyes. It was there, under the glow of a parking lot light, that he FINALLY made his move and kissed me. He also asked me that night to be his. (I pick on him all the time about his lack of taking advantage of a romantic setting. lol)
Of course I said yes.
The next night, we got together and just hung out. I went out of town the next day and I missed him terribly. We texted the entire time and I just hated being without him. I got home the next day and he surprised me by meeting me at my apartment. We hung out, I think I cooked him dinner, then he went home.
We were talking on the phone that night and he told me he was going to marry me.
This was after 4 days.
Naturally, I laughed and said "Okay!", not thinking he was serious.
We spent 3 weeks getting as much time in as we could. We didn't care WHAT we did, as long as we were with each other.
One of our dates before we got married
On September 17th, he came to my apartment to spend the night with me. The next morning, we got up and dressed nicely, dressed Sebastian and Anastasia nicely (they were COMPLETELY in love with him at this point) and we went to the courthouse and got married.
3 weeks after we met!
Our wedding (don't mind my fat arm!)
He's a married man!
We've had our rough patches, been through things that would tear other marriages apart (like a miscarriage). But we've come out of it stronger. One of the things that made me fall in love with him was him telling me that he couldn't love me if he didn't love my kids. He's been such an amazing Daddy to them...words just couldn't express it.
I'm lucky. I've met the person my heart was made for, the person my soul was meant for. I met the person that I'd end up calling my best friend. He encourages me, pushes me, drives me nuts but loves me unconditionally. 
I always said that if I had even half the love I saw shared between my Grandma Molly and Grandpa Alvis, I'd be a lucky woman. Little did I know, they'd send him my way.
This small town girl found her city boy.
So, to my love, I say to you. Happy Anniversary (and may the odds be EVER in your favor!...sorry, that popped into my head after I said happy anniversary! lol). You've made my life far better than I could have ever dreamed. We aren't perfect individually, but we are perfect for and because of each other.
I love you.
Matthew and I earlier this year

3 comments:

  1. What a great love story. OK, I don't get leaving West Palm for Ohio, and I never thought of taking a picture on a first date, but clearly you two knew early on that you were meant for each other. Happy Anniversary! Wishing you many many years more of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I just flew into Ohio...I moved to Kentucky! lol.
    Yea, we knew from jump street we had something special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, that is a magical whirlwind romance that has stood the test of time. Have a great anniversary.

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?