Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Day For Remembering: Poppy

Photo credit: http://www.thisbeautifulmessblog.com/2010/08/day-of-hope.html
I have been pregnant a total of 5 times.
I got pregnant the first time when I was 18. I was married to my ex husband and we were pretty excited. I found out I was pregnant on October 19, 2001...my little brother's birthday. Going by my last menstrual cycle, I was about 10 weeks along. I made an appointment with an OBGYN and they confirmed it for me. Yes I was pregnant and I should be about 10 weeks. They decided to do an ultrasound and were shocked to find a little bean, but no heartbeat. They said it's possible that, because I was coming off the depo shot, my cycle was messed up and it was too early to see the heartbeat. 2 weeks later, I was getting another ultrasound and still, no heartbeat. The OBGYN was trying to keep me calm by saying it could still be too early.
A week or so later, the bleeding started. It was determined I was having a miscarriage. I was devastated. On November 12, in the early morning hours, I passed my baby. Per the DR's order, I took it in and we determined that I was 12 weeks pregnant. What I passed was about the size of a softball. 
I went home to grieve. My mom came up (we lived about 3 hours away at the time) and she went with me to get my RHOgram shot. I was told to give it 3 months and I could try again.
On January 21, 2002, I discovered I was pregnant again. I did the same song and dance. This time, it was believed I was about 6 weeks along, if that. An ultrasound was done, showed the little bean but no heartbeat. Another was done a week later with the same results. Then came the bleeding and on February 13, 2002, I miscarried my second child.
Both of those miscarriages were heartbreaking, but looking back, it was for the best. I wasn't ready to be a mom. My marriage ended in July 2002. My ex-husband didn't really allow me to grieve the way I needed to. We didn't talk about it, I wasn't suppose to bring it up again. And I ended up meeting someone who would listen to me and...well, that's a blog for a different day.
In December of 2003, I found out I was pregnant by my boyfriend. I was TERRIFIED. Sometime in January 2004, when I was about 6 weeks along, I went for an ultrasound and discovered that not only was I pregnant, but with twins...and they both had a heartbeat. In July 2004, I gave birth to Sebastian and Anastasia.
When I met Matthew, my husband, I was content to have no more children. Sebastian and Anastasia were 4 and starting school, I could focus on me now. But Matthew had no biological children of his own and I was open to the idea. So imagine my surprise when I found out on October 3, 2008, I was pregnant. I didn't think it would happen that quickly, but it did. Naturally, Matthew was super excited. Having survived twins, I didn't think I'd have another miscarriage.
I went to the DR a couple of days later to confirm I was pregnant. 
The test came back negative. They said it could have been because I was really early. But I had 3 tests that showed it was positive. So they drew blood and showed I DID have elevated pregnancy hormone levels and I was, in fact, pregnant...but only about 4 weeks along.
October 10, the bleeding started.
I couldn't believe I was losing another baby. I went to the DR and they drew blood and confirmed my fears. No HCG level was found. They did an ultrasound and found an empty uterus. They determined I'd had a chemical pregnancy, which basically means my egg was fertilized and I WAS pregnant, but I had a very early miscarriage, before it was even detectable in an ultrasound.
At 4-6 weeks, your baby about about the size of a poppy seed. So, we called the baby Poppy.
Even though I'd had two miscarriages before, this was so much worse. I don't know if it's because I already had two living children or if it was because I'd realized way before that that my first two were blessings, but this miscarriage is the one that causes me the most grief. It's been almost 11 years since my first miscarriage, 10 years since my second. I don't really grieve on those days...as bad as it sounds, most of the time those days come and go without the miscarriages entering my thoughts.
But Poppy's miscarriage....THAT one I remember...10/10 has been a sad day for me for the past 4 years and it will continue to be. Sure, if I hadn't lost that baby, I wouldn't have Cailin right now and I'm SOOOO thankful that I do. But still the pain is there.
I wanted to share this with you guys because...well, it was therapeutic. I have an amazing little girl that I wouldn't trade for the world and, when she gets older and as the twins continue to gain an understanding about babies and pregnancy, I plan to tell them about the little brother or sister they never got to meet. And I look at Cailin and I'm SOOO thankful that she was a little fighter, because if I didn't have her, I don't think my world would be as complete as it is.
So here's to you, my Baby Poppy. I love you and I'll never forget you. But thank you for sending us Cailin.
And to all those mothers out there who have suffered a miscarriage, my heart goes out to you. You are not alone.
~Sarah

2 comments:

  1. I've had miscarriages, a chemical pregnancy and even lost one twin (and my tube) while able to have the second. No matter how grateful I am for my kids, I get why you remember this day and why it makes you so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a lot of people do. A lot of people tell me that I should get over it because I have 3 beautiful kids, which they are right about that part....but that doesn't mean I shouldn't hurt for the baby that wasn't...

      Delete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?