Monday, October 22, 2012

Decisions, Decisions.....They Are Never A Good Thing....

I went for a job interview on Friday and it went well. I'll start in two weeks, when my background check and drug test comes back. It's at a local grocery store and I'm really looking forward to the job.
Naturally, there's an issue now.
My husband's hours have been changed and he will now be working later. Normally, this wouldn't really be an issue, but with this job, there are going to be nights when I'll have to work late as well.
Our kids would never get to see us. This simply won't do.
I WANT to work, but I don't really NEED to. I'm just wanting something part time and I was hoping that it would be during school hours. Cailin could get some much needed time away from me and I'd be home by the time the kids got out of school. That's important to me. My husband and I have talked a lot about this and we've both decided that, as long as we can afford for me to, working part time and being available to the kids is important. Especially considering that, next year, they'll be old enough to join the school teams for basketball and cheerleading, the academic team, choir, etc, etc. Plus, I'm on the PTO, so I want to be available for that too.
We aren't a traditional family, by any means......well, I guess maybe we are. My husband works, I stay home, it's worked out so far. It's not really broken. I'm just getting bored and Cailin starts school next year, so I figured...why not.
I'm going to talk with the hiring manager at the store and see what we can work out. Explain my situation and see what we can come up with. Honestly, if I could work three 8 hour days, that would be awesome. Work on Sunday (that's my husband's day off) and two days during the week......maybe Monday and Wednesday or something. Be off by, like, 5....yea that'd be pretty awesome.
*sigh*
I feel torn. I don't know what to do and I hate that. I hate that his hours have been changed, because he doesn't see the kids as much as I know he'd like to. I know they miss him too and I don't want to take me away from them.
Anyone out there got any advice?

~Sarah


2 comments:

  1. I think you've got the right idea by talking to the hiring manager to see what you can work out. If it doesn't work, though, my suggestion would be to just wait it out. Go ahead and stay home a little longer. If your real purpose for getting a part-time job is more to busy yourself, give yourself a new perspective and something different to do, maybe you could do volunteer work instead until you find something that has the hours you want to work. I applaud SAHM's. You guys do the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.
    by self esteem

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?