Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Family Game Night

Photo Credit: The Cameron Council Communique
My husband and I are going to talk tonight, after the kids go to bed. There are a few things that need to be discussed, the biggest being that we need to do more things together as a family. 
Now, that doesn't mean that we need to spend loads of money on entertainment, but I think we need to schedule a weekly family movie night, where we eat pizza and veg in the living room, watching a family friendly movie, and a family game night for us and the older kids. Having Cailin join in would complicate things, so we are going to come up with something we can do with her.
I think this is important on several fronts, the biggest being that Matthew works such long hours and doesn't get to spend a lot of time with the kids, especially Sebastian and Anastasia. He doesn't go in until later in the morning, but they are already gone to school. He gets home around 7:30ish and we have dinner, they get ready for bed and do their nightly wind down. He, really, only gets about an hour a day with them. 
Something has to give.
We have Monopoly and we DID have Uno, but I think Cailin hid the cards somewhere. We use to have a Wii and we'd challenge them to dance offs in Just Dance or we'd bowl or something like that. So I'd really like to get another Wii to bring that back, plus a few more board games, some that are Cailin friendly, some that are to be played after she goes to bed.
Photo Credit: clipartof.com
We need to re-connect as a family, because I feel it's important and will foster a deeper trust. We both want them to feel they can come talk to us about anything and we want them to do so at any time, so we both need to relax a little bit. We already make sure we sit down and eat together as a family...that's extremely important to us and studies have shown that a family that does that is healthier.
But it seems like, once the day is done, dinner is eaten, I'm exhausted and ready for the kids to go to bed so I can unwind, Matthew is tired from working all day and the kids are particularly cranky and in bad moods.
Not only do we need to re-connect as a family, but as a couple, Matthew and I could use a re-connection. We need to make more time to just shut the TV off, turn off the computer and sit and talk. We use to do that a lot, but here lately, it's few and far between. Admittedly, a lot of that is my own fault because I just want to unwind and not talk to anyone. Plus I've let my own bouts of depression get in the way of my own relationship.
Sometimes, you just realize that it's time to take back your life and take back your family. I guess I've had that realization. I need to make some healthy changes to my life, for myself, my husband and my kids. I need to get this weight off me, I need to focus more on not letting my depression get the best of me and I need to focus more on getting my house and everything cleaned up and staying that way...that usually puts me in a bad mood. I want to learn to provide my family with healthier meals that leave them full and satisfied but that are good for them. 
I guess, overall, it's time to make certain changes in my life that are much needed. And its time to do it now.
How to you spend time with your family?

~Sarah

4 comments:

  1. I've had this same thought for a long time! I need to do more with my kids and cherish the time I still have them in the house. My oldest is off in college now, and I don't see her every day. Maybe even not for a couple of weeks or more at a time. I regret now not doing a family game night or just being more active with them. Kudos to you, and I can sense your motivation! Kick the depression bugs aside and Just Do It ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to look back and see missed moments, you know? And I can see that happening, which scares me. Sebastian isn't into sports yet, but still, I want to make memories before it's too late.

      Delete
  2. Exercise is not just good for weight control but for raising endorphin levels in the brain which helps with depression. If you're all available on weekends, do something physical. I used to take the kids rollerblading or ice skating. If you think it through and plan in advance, you could really take care of a lot of your needs at once. Whatever you do, enjoy it, laugh, have fun (also great for depression)>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm thinking too. A lot of my depression is brought on by my weight. Easy way to fix that is to get rid of it. It's easier said than done, but I have to do something. But I will be doing it with a smile on my face!

      Delete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?