Monday, October 29, 2012

GUEST BLOGGER: I Was A Bully

I was a bully.
I wasn't nice to people and I really don't know why. I didn't have a bad home life, I wasn't exactly unpopular. I guess I was a sheep and was following other people. Looking back, if I could change one thing, I would have not bullying.
I moved to Kentucky and lost contact with a lot of people. Now, I'm friends with people that I'm sure I bullied in high school. I've grown up and I have kids myself and have learned how wrong I was.
I hope that I've shown that I've matured a little bit and that I'm not on someone's hit list like Steve Buscemi from "Billy Madison". Who I was in high school is so far from who I am now, as an adult. I accept homosexuals, I'm about equality and helping my fellow man.
I don't know why I was such a bully in school, but I regret that.
One thing I wish everyone would realize is that it's so much easier to be nice than it is to be mean. It doesn't matter who you are, your shape, your size, your color, we are all people. We all hurt. I think it makes you more of a human and more of a person if you will not bully and defend for those that ARE bullied.
I'm scared that my kids will reap what I sowed. I don't want my kids to get my karma.
Bullying is nonsense, bullying is pointless. My advice for kids is to talk to each other. You never know what their story is. Everyone goes through hard times. That person you are bullying may not have any hand in what they are going through and you bullying them isn't helping.
Acceptance is key and something we as parents should teach our kids. You'd be surprised at well your words impact your kids.

Matthew Nolan is a husband and father of 3. He doesn't blog regularly and he doesn't really share with the world what's on his mind. But he was inspired to write this when his wife, The Mommy Chronicles writer Sarah, wrote a piece about bullying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?