Thursday, October 11, 2012

National Coming Out Day

I am straight.
There...I said it and I admit it.
I guess I'm out now!
Anyways, it is true, I am a straight woman. I'm happily married to an amazing man and we have 3 amazing children. My husband (or I) can claim each other on our insurance, we can claim the married status, we can do a lot of things that married couples can do.
We are married and it is recognized.
Why?
Because we are a man and a woman.
I am a big supporter of the Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Transgender community (GLBT) for several reasons, but two of them are major. The first is because I have several gay and lesbian family members. I love them all. It's who they are, it's how they were born and I fully accept them. The second reason is because I feel that if two people love each other and they are two consenting adults, then they should be allowed to married. I feel that marriage is a basic CIVIL and HUMAN right that everyone deserves, regardless of the gender of the two individuals.
This opinion is not shared, nor is it favored among many, especially where I live, where they will freely throw around derogatory terms and not even once bat an eye. It's disgusting, it's vial and, to be perfectly honest, it pissed me off. There are a lot of ignorant people in my area that will spew their hatred with pride. They will tell you "Marriage is meant to be between one man and one woman".
I say screw that noise. Who decided that? A book that was written by men and is suppose to be the word of God? Hey, if you believe that, then I support you. After all, we are a nation built on the dream of freedom of religion. But if you are going to follow the book, then follow it wholely. Don't cherry pick. If you are going to call two men or two women loving each other an abomination, then I don't want to see you eating shellfish or lying, or any other abominations that are freely committed (you can find a list of those by clicking HERE).
Look, I'm not here to tell you to what to believe. That's not my place. Nor am I here to tell you that you have to support them, because that's up to you. But I AM saying that they WERE born this way. I was born straight, I never chose to be. And I AM saying that it's YOUR right to believe what you want in your religion. But that religion ends where others rights begin.
I am straight, but I am not narrow. And I encourage EVERYONE to open up just a little bit and support human rights.
~Sarah

4 comments:

  1. I saw this post had no comments. But I felt someone should have at least said amen or something. The bible teaches people to let God be the judge. Yet we are denying these people the rights we take for granted. Sad. It really is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I honestly didn't expect to get any comments, because I know mine isn't a popular opinion. But it's nice to see someone out there that agrees.

      Delete
  2. Yet another well written piece Sarah , you truly make your mother proud.... I love reading your words like I love to hear you sing , I get watery eyes & cold chills when I hear you singing or read things like this..... All I have to say is You love who you love there should be no shame or blame in that......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't have said it better myself.. Thank you for the support.

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?