Thursday, December 13, 2012

Times....They Are A-Changing

Maybe it's the fact that I just turned 30 and have been reflecting on my life.

Maybe it's that I HATE standing at the bus stop with the kids at 7 in the morning, freezing my imaginary balls off.

I'm not sure what it is, but this blog has been on my mind a lot and I figured it was time to get it out there to the masses.

I look at my kids and sometimes, I feel sorry for them. They are growing up in a time where bullying extends to home life. They aren't safe from it at home, because of social media. They are growing up in a time where they have to be watched like a hawk because you never know what creeper is lurking around the corner.

When I was 8, I walked myself to the bus stop. I played outside at all hours of the day. I'd run off to my aunts house a mile down the road or to a friends hours just over the hill. At any given time, my mother was calling someone to see if I was there.

I played with bare feet. I played in a creek, catching crawdads. I didn't have a computer and my first time on the internet was using a WebTV.

It was a simpler time, one I wish my kids could experience. One free of fear, full of freedom.

This pretty much sums up my childhood. If I hear the words "In West Philadelphia" I WILL finish the song. Shows had theme songs. They were wholesome and had positive messages. My kids aren't allowed to watch shows on Cartoon Network or Nick because I think they are too "mature". We are a Disney family and feel that they are more along the lines of what we use to watch. I, personally, am THRILLED that they are doing a spin-off of "Boy Meets World" and I'll let my kids watch it, because I know it will be along the lines of what I feel is wholesome.

I wish I could keep my kids in a little bubble and protect them from the dangers of the world. I don't know how to let them explore on their own without hovering over them. How do you give them their freedom without being terrified something will happen?

Times are changing and I don't like it. I live in a small town that is behind on the times, but the kids aren't innocent here and we are catching up. Little kids have cell phones. Hell, I'm considering getting my kids a cell phone to share. I didn't get my first cell phone until I was in my 20's and here I am, considering giving my 8 year olds a cell phone! *sigh*

This is the life I want for my kids....
Now to figure out how to make it happen.......



1 comment:

  1. Ahhh if only life were just full of the good stuff, y'know?! Sighhhhs!

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?