Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Where Words Fail...Music Speaks

Leo Tolstoy

I was recently talking with a friend of mine about music. I was in the mood to listen to some alternative rock and, sadly, in my area there isn't a station. I said something that, at least in MY mind, was very deep and profound.

When no one else understands....music does.

Music, at least for me, is very therapeutic. Depending on my mood, music can get me through cleaning, put a smile on my face, or let me bare my soul and scream to the top of my lungs "WILL SOMEONE PLEASE JUST HEAR ME!" I've ALWAYS been this way.....there was nothing like either cranking the radio or putting some headphones on and just losing yourself in lyrics.

One of my favorite songwriters is Maynard James Keenan, the man that I consider a lyrical God. He's the front man of A Perfect Circle and Tool. That man just speaks to my soul. There is probably a song by either band that can describe, in so many words, what I'm feeling at any given moment. 

One of my absolute, all time favorite songs is "3 Libras" by A Perfect Circle. This song is just amazing. I find myself listening to it all the time, especially when I just need to breath. You can find the lyrics by clicking HERE.


Another favorite song is from another one of my favorite bands, 30 Seconds To Mars. They rank up there in probably my top 10 favorite bands. I'm not sure what it is, but their lyrics speak to me as well. When I'm angry or doubting myself, I can just drive around or pull a video up on youtube and scream at the top of my lungs "THIS IS WHO I REALLY AM!" That's from the song "The Kill".

When I think of my husband, my mind always goes back to two different songs. The first one is our song, which is "Lucky" by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat. I always say that I'm "lucky I'm in love with my best friend". It's the truth. I am lucky to have him, as he's truly an amazing man.

The other song probably bring out my nerdy side, but it's "Come What May" from the Moulin Rouge soundtrack. That song probably describes, quite perfectly, how I feel about my husband. "Never knew I could feel like this. Like I've never seen the sky before. I want to vanish inside your kiss. Every day I love you more and more." That's truly how I feel.

In another 30 Seconds To Mars video (the one for "Closer To The Edge"), at the end, a girl said something that, for me, is very true. She said "Some people believe in God. I believe in music. Some people pray, but I just turn up the radio." This is so true for me. I find my peace in music. I find my comfort in music. Some lyrics have this ability to reach deep into my soul and pull out what I've been needing to see, to hear, to feel. 

My Dad is a drummer and my Mom has always been into music. I think that's probably where I got my love of music from. I met a man that loves music almost as much as I do. As a matter of fact, one of the first conversations between Matthew and I was about music. Our kids all love music as well. It's a beautiful thing.

Music is so much more than sound, than noise. It's feeling, it's emotion, it's something pure and deep. It's your friend, it's your savior, it's your own mind when you least expect it. Music is life....at least for me.


3 comments:

  1. You may have just inspired a future blog post on my blog. How true this is. I'm a musician and former music teacher (long sad story) that can so relate. It's been a rough time for me personally lately, so the song I've been listening to is "I Won't Let Go" by Rascal Flatts (I actually just finished a post featuring this song). It's getting me through, and that's what counts. I also have cleaning music, walking music, angry music, etc, etc. My tastes in music are pretty diverse-I think that if someone were to look at my ITunes list they would probably put me on a special list!

    Thanks for sharing. I really liked this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I look like a schizo with my music taste. I always wanted to be a music teacher, but there's just not a huge demand in my area. My son has recently decided he wants to join the drum line in band and my daughter wants to play clarinet. I love that I've passed along my love of music!

      Delete
  2. You are spot on with this blog post! I was a singer way, way back and most of my family was involved in some form of music---I grew up on classical but today love just about every genre out there. Isn't it wonderful how you can listen to an old song and it just takes you back to that EXACT moment in time when you first heard it? I love that. I like your choices here--Moulin Rouge has ALWAYS been one of my favorites!!!! Check out the music coming out in Les Miserables---SO BEAUTIFUL! My youngest son was starting to get into a bit of trouble when he was 14. We got him a guitar and a nice drum set--it basically saved him. He is now playing in a band and never goes a day without his music. My house is pretty loud because of it but that's OK because I am most comfortable when surrounded by music. The other day I just listened to a group I haven't played in a long time-- Snow Patrol---love that song called "Chasing Cars." Ahhh, music really does "soothe the savage beast". Thanks for sharing your tunes!

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?