Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Marriage Equality and My Stance

I support gay rights.

There, I said it. It's the truth and it's something I'm extremely proud of it. What's more is that I teach this to my kids as well (insert shocked face here) and, even more horrifying, THEY ACTUALLY GET IT!

How sad it is that 8 year olds can grasp how important it is for two consenting adults that love each other marry and have a family, gender be damned? They get how inhumane and unjust it is that they can't. But so many adults can't wrap their head around this concept because of what a book is telling them?

I've written before about my views, once when I was talking about my son wanting to join the boy scouts and again on National Coming Out Day, where I came out that I was straight. I don't hide the fact that I support gay rights, I don't hide my reasons why and I'm not afraid to let my stance be known against others.

"Oh, well, they don't HAVE to be gay...that's THEIR choice!" No, it's actually not...not in most cases. Now, I'll be the first to admit that there are some posers out there, that decide to play the part of gay or bi or something because, to them, it's "trendy", but at least 99% of the GLBT community was born the way they are. Gay.

I was born straight. I can not tell you when I made the decision to be straight, because I just always WAS. Did I ever have moments where I questioned my sexuality? Absolutely. I think everyone does at one point. But ultimately, I am a straight woman, because that's how I was made. Just like a gay man was born a gay man and a lesbian was born a lesbian.

It will be a happy day when Adam and Steve or Sandra and Eve can have the exact same rights that my husband and I have. It will be a gloriously beautiful day when my friends and family that are members of the GLBT community can marry the person they love, without question and without having to travel to do it.

Equality, people......it's important and it's time.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed! It's time! Hey, just wanted to let you know I have an award for you---swing by my site and grab it! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?