Friday, April 5, 2013

Girl, You're Just 17!

Welcome to Take One of April’s Secret Subject Swaps. This week, 12 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts. 


Here are links to all the sites now featuring Secret Subject Swap posts.  Sit back, grab a cup, and check them all out. See you there:

http://www.BakingInATornado.com                       
 http://chewylicious.wordpress.com/                   
http://smn0409.blogspot.com/                
http://dinoheromommy.com/                   
http://www.justalittlenutty.com/                    
http://followmehome.shellybean.com             
www.amotherlife.com                                      
 http://hypnoticbard.blogspot.com/                                   

My subject came from Confessions of a Failing Domestic Goddess and it is "Let's go back in time. You're 17 years old. Tell me what your life is like."

Oh, 17 years old. That was a few years ago, so my memory may not be that great, but I'll try to be as detail oriented as possible, as this will be an amazing story, about the discovering of womanhood and overcoming poverty.

Wait...I actually remember it very well, now that I look back. What I'm going to tell you about is actually the summer I turned 18, because it was a very defining time for me. We lived in a run down, one room shack like house somewhere outside of New Orleans. We were very hard pressed, barely making rent and being able to afford food. But then the most amazing thing happened....

My mother somehow came up with the money to buy me a dress that was mostly used for dancing.

We washed, brushed, and curled my hair, put some make up on me and then I stepped into that dress. It was a satin dress with a split in the side up to my hip. It was red, made of velvet and it fit me like a GLOVE. When I looked in the mirror, I was floored, because where a half grown kid had stood before, now...there was a woman.

Mama, love her heart, dabbed the little bit of perfume she had on my neck and then gave me a kiss on the cheek. She started to tear up as she looked around at our pitiful house, then looked at me with troubled eyes and told me that my dad had run off, she was really sick and my poor baby sibling was going to starve to death. 

It was then that she put a locket around my neck. It was shaped like a heart and had "To Thine Own Self Be True" engraved on it. I found myself shivering, I'm not sure if it was due to the chills I had or the roach that had just crawled across the toe of my high heeled shoe. In a voice that didn't sound like my own I asked her, "Mama? What do I do?" She said to me that if I was nice to the gentlemen, they'd be nice to me.

When I left our rundown shack that night, I didn't look back. Mama died, child protective services came and took the baby. Fate was starting to deal me a different hand, but I felt stuck. It took very little time for me to realize what my mama was talking about. While not proud of my actions, I did what I had to, all the while promising myself that I would become a lady. I didn't know when and I didn't know how, but it was going to happen.

It wasn't very long after that a man of money took me in. About a week after that I was pouring his tea in his massive suite. I met and charmed many men. A congressman, a king, and occasionally an aristocrat. After such experiences, I was able to afford a Georgia mansion and a really elegant New York townhouse flat. I have to say, I haven't done bad.

People like to talk about about my mother for turning me out at the tender age of 17.  This world is full of self righteous hypocrites, let me tell you. And while I haven't had to worry about nothing for about 15 years, sometimes, I can still hear my mama's desperate voice ringing in my ears.

She said to me "Here's your one chance, Fancy! Don't let me down!" And I don't think I did. Because, while I might have been born just plain white trash.....by god, FANCY WAS MY NAME!

So that's my story of when I was 17.......

Now why not go see what the other's have for ya!

32 comments:

  1. That's a Reba song called fancy. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed that this was written by the same woman I "met" so many months ago. You are a great spinner of tales, and I just love uncovering new layers of both you and your writing style. Love, love, love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first started to write this, I was actually going to at it like I was Britney Spears. Then this song popped into my head and I thought, oh that...THAT is the way to go! I'm so happy you enjoyed it. Thank you..so very much.

      Delete
  3. I love me some Reba. AWESOME take on the post, "Fancy!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I read it to my husband after I'd written it (being the over achiever I am, it has been sitting, waiting to be published since I got the prompt) and he just rolled his eyes and said "Oh jeez, you're a dork".

      Delete
    2. That sounds like something my husband would say..They're keepers, aren't they?

      Delete
  4. ROFLMBO!!!!! TOO FUNNY!! I loved it!
    I wasn't sure at first... I thought MAYBE... but before I got to the end, I knew it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried SO HARD to write it so that the reader would be like "hmmm....this sounds oddly familiar", then at the end "OH DUH!!!" lol

      Delete
  5. Ok so Im a dork... I though this was true. Well played lady well played

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was great ... you are such a genius! Reba is awesome!

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't listen to country so I was totally jaw dropped on the floor.
    Wow! Was trying to figure out how one comments on such a powerful story...
    Then I read the comments. :D
    You are freakin' amazing!
    Loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES, YES, YES! You're a Miss Kay fan AND a Reba lover? We're basically best friends now, do you realize this?! :) LOVED THIS! I totally rock this song word for word when it comes on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We DVR episodes of Duck Dynasty around here. And we watch the re-runs no matter how many times we've seen them. And yes, I love me some Reba! I love when blogging brings me new friends. Makes it worth it that much more!

      Delete
  9. Absolutely. Fucking. Brilliant.

    About halfway through I thought, "This sounds like that song of Reba's" Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well Fancy you have done good for yourself & you have made your mother proud ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoL! Well and I guess I did! Love her! (my mama, y'all!!!)

      Delete
  11. HA HA! I got partway through this and thought "OH, this sounds familiar?" then a little more and I think "No, this is the story in that 'Fancy' song!" My mama didn't raise no fool... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoL! It was a successful post then. haha

      Delete
  12. Oh my god, I am so silly! I am new to your blog, and don't know Reba very well, so naturally, as I began to read this, I thought it was all true. I was almost three quarters of the way through and I actually had a tear drip down my face! Pathetic, I know, but it was making me so sad that all this horrible stuff happened to you! Then it hit me, that it wasn't a true story! Of course, a (tiny bit) still skeptical, I read the comments, and realized how gullible I was and laughed. But, I have to say, your writing is beautiful and touched my heart enough to make me cry (even if it was fictional) that's some amazing stuff right there!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And sorry I made you cry!!

      Delete
  13. Oh man, you had me too! I don't know Reba's songs (I love the sitcom tho!)so I was just assuming it was your story. But for some reason I just wasn't sure.... so I read the comments, and yeah, I'm a bone-head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, I didn't think I was THAT good of a story teller. lol Thanks!

      Delete
  14. The first couple of grafs, I'm thinking, this sounds really familiar. Freakin' hilarious. What an ingenious way of doing the swap subject. Do you mind if I steal the idea? Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery. :) Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoL! Steal away! At first I was going to do it like I was Britney Spears, but then I was like..nooo...this is an AWESOME idea!!! It had to be done. lol

      Delete
  15. That was a beautiful story! Wish I could say that I had the same experience but I don't think my parents could care less...well at least that's how I felt! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful story! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but it wasn't true. It's the song "Fancy" by Reba McIntyre, just in story form.

      Delete
  16. When I asked what your favorite post of the past year was, I knew this one would be in the running. Amazing piece of writing. You had me from the beginning, then got me laughing at myself for falling for it. Second time reading and I still Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?