Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Winds Of Change: One Mom's Fight For Healthy Alternatives

I am honored to be collaborating with one of my favorite bloggers, Karen from Baking in a Tornado. She and I don't have a ton in common, but she is a dear friend that is going through her own life changing event, so this is a perfect collaboration.



Change.

It's never an easy thing. Especially when you've grown so accustomed to what you are use to and that the change means you have to give things up.

I've grown accustomed to eating not so healthy food. And, as a result, my waistline has grown. Not just mine, but my husband's as well. When we first met, I said to him that I hoped he liked mac and cheese and hamburger helper, because that's all I knew how to cook. Luckily (or not so much) for him, in the 5 years we've been married, I've learned to cook other things, like meatloaf and homemade chicken noodle soup.

This is great, except it's actually good and we like to eat. A LOT. And because of that, we've both put on more than a healthy amount of weight in the past 5 years.

This is changing....NOW.

My family isn't healthy and that's a scary realization. I want to be around for my kids for a long, long time. I want be with my husband until we are well into old(er) age. That's not going to happen if we keep eating like we do.

So we change it.

We've tried it before, by simply cutting out foods that we love and eating more foods we don't. That got old quick, because there was no varity. THIS time around, I plan to take our favorite foods and make them healthier. That way, we can have our varity, taste, and not give things up.

One of our favorite meals is meatloaf with mashed potatoes and peas. Not very healthy, but SOOOO very tasty. My mission to keep this in the line up is to find out how to make it healthier...at least the meatloaf part of it. Cooking it in all that grease, using meat that isn't very lean isn't so good. So, I need to find a way to make it where it is HEALTHIER and still tastes good.

I've researched this a lot and last night, decided to try something new. I used 1 part 80/20 beef and 1 part low fat ground turkey. That's the only change I made, was adding the ground turkey. I was amazed at how little grease there was! I didn't change anything else, so the taste was the same. It was so good and I was pleasantly surprised. I was even MORE surprised that everyone else liked it, especially my husband, who's not a fan of change.

This is a lower fat option that I will be repeating. And I like that we don't have to give up our favorite meal......

Now if I can just figure out how to make healthier, tasty mashed potatoes dish......

Please check out Karen's recipe for Chocolate Mint Pie. If the picture looks as good as the title, you might want something to blot the mouth watering.....

Turkey Meat Loaf

1lb 80/20 lean beaf
1lb low fat ground turkey
1 large egg
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp dried parsley and basil
.5 yellow onion

I mixed all the above ingredients, then I added the ketchup, which I just kind of eyeballed. After I mixed that, I added Italian bread crumbs, which I also eyeballed. I put it in an 8x8 pan and baked at 400 for 1 hour. About 10 minutes or so before it's done, I add ketchup to the top.


13 comments:

  1. I have such respect for your commitment to change. And I can't believe what a simple idea that was, just to switch out half of the meat for a healthier one. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did make a huge difference in the fat and it was so good. It's hard to change, but it's much needed. I have my bad days, but a result of my changing my eating, I've lost 18.4 lbs!

      Delete
  2. Just hopped over from Baking in a Tornado. Good for you, getting your family to eat healthier. If you can eat peas, healthy eating should go pretty well. (I cannot stand peas, no matter how they are cooked.)
    I normally don't do this, but I just had an aha moment last week about making meatloaf, and it can help you with your eating healthy plan. I tried making the meatloaf in a miniloaf pan. So, 8 little meatloafs, which cook a whole lot faster, keep portion control in check, and you can freeze the extras for a later meal.
    OK, I'm done. I'll go look around your blog for a bit now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to be changing certain things along the way and that will be one of the changes I make. It would help too with my husband's lunches.

      Delete
  3. You are making healthy changes and I am so proud of you!! I will have to check out this meatloaf. I only recently started eating meatloaf again but I like that you added the turkey!!

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Honestly, I think it tasted better than regular meatloaf. It didn't have all that grease, so I got more flavor out of it.

      Delete
  4. Good for you for wanting to be healthier for your kids. I am starting to exercise and watching what I eat as well.

    teaching them good eating habits is important too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, absolutely. Especially considering my son is very aware of what he eats and wants to make sure what he eats is healthy. I need to demonstrate this for him and I haven't been.

      Delete
  5. I hear you on wanting to eat healthier! My hubby and I talk about this a lot. We eat a lot of junk food. We started substituting ground turkey for ground beef about a year ago and never looked back! I use turkey for everything (enchiladas, tacos, burgers, meat loaf, pasta dishes, casseroles). Once you get used to it, you don't notice a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difference that I could tell was that I think it was better tasting than regular meatloaf. The lack of grease really made the taste of it pop through and I enjoyed it more, plus it didn't set heavy on my stomach.

      Delete
  6. I have found that I don't have greasy meatloaf if i use a baking sheet.
    Since I always make 2 loaves (i hate onions, he loves them). I make 2 "mounds" on the sheet and it is a lot less grease in the meat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have found that I don't have greasy meatloaf if i use a baking sheet.
    Since I always make 2 loaves (i hate onions, he loves them). I make 2 "mounds" on the sheet and it is a lot less grease in the meat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found that if I use a baking sheet, there is less grease in the meat.
    I make 2 loaves (i hate onions, he loves them) and just make a mound.

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?