Tuesday, May 7, 2013

I Like Girls That Wear Abercrombie and Fitch.....

We've all seen the ads. We've walked past the store in the mall (and, if you are anything like me, got violently ill). Some of us may have even been INSIDE the store, for whatever reason.

Abercrombie and Fitch.

Clothes for the yuppies. (in my opinion)

A&F CEO Mike Jefferies has recently said, in an interview, that they won't carry plus size clothing for women because "He doesn't want larger people shopping in his store, he wants thin and beautiful people", according to Robin Lewis co-author of The New Rules of Retail and CEO of newsletter The Robin Report. Jefferies goes further and says he doesn't want his core customer base to be people that would be considered "uncool". His clothes are meant for the "cool kids"

“It’s almost everything. That’s why we hire good-looking people in our stores. Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and we want to market to cool, good-looking people. We don’t market to anyone other than that......In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids. Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely."

That's what Jefferies told Salon magazine in 2006.

Okay, I get it.....you don't want someone like me to wear your clothes. That's awesome and completely okay. But what about that plus size girl still in high school? She's getting picked on already by her peers, now some CEO of some clothes line is basically doing the same thing? It's sickening...it's pathetic.

Mark Jefferies; CEO of Abercrombie and Fitch
In my opinion, there is FAR too much emphasis placed on being "beautiful" or "skinny" or "cool". Why can't people just.....be? Why are there still cliques? Why are there still stereotypes? Why? Because of people like Mark Jefferies. Because there are parents out there, adults out there, that are influencing the children of this country, telling them that you have to look just so or you are worthless.

I am a plus size woman. I have been for my whole life. It's something that I am forever trying to change. No, I don't want my kids to be like me, to go through what I went through when I was in school, being picked on and tormented. More importantly, I want my kids to be HEALTHY. There isn't anything wrong with that. BUT, at the same time, I teach my kids acceptance. I teach them tolerance. I teach them that not everyone is the same, NO ONE is perfect, and that they should base their friendships and relationships on a person's personality rather than their looks. Thus far, this has worked. 

I have 3 kids. I have my son, who is the artistic one. He's very sensitive, he's imaginative, he's creative. My oldest daughter is the jock. She plays softball, wants to play basketball, very competitive, but she's also the overachieving brainiac. My youngest daughter is....well, she's 3, if that tells you anything. She's pretty much both of them rolled in to one.

They have friends from all walks of life and I absolutely LOVE that. 

Abercrombie and Fitch can keep their clothes, their bully of a CEO. There are so many other companies out there that realize that we aren't all the same, that KIDS aren't all the same and they cater to the needs of REALITY, not some dream world. 

And to me, that's pretty effing cool.


5 comments:

  1. Kids are growing, they go through all different stages; chubby stages and thin stages, they're short then put on growth spurts. So then are those exact same kids only acceptable at certain points in their lives and not at others?

    I have a son who's naturally thin. He doesn't eat well and doesn't exercise. I have another one who's shorter and built stockier. He's not overweight because he belongs to a gym and works out. Two very different kids. Both worthy of love and respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very, very true. It's absolutely ridiculous the way people are trying to put our kids into this box.....they aren't MEANT to be the same!

      Delete
  2. This whole story makes me sad. Kids have enough to deal with as it is, and sure as hell don't need to be told that they're only beautiful if they fit into overpriced clothing peddled by a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I was picked on as a kid and, when I was a teen, I remember how badly I wanted to wear their clothes and how it made me feel that I couldn't. I don't wish that on anyone.

      Delete
  3. This coming from a man who looks like he has had way to much plastic surgery to stay "cool" Ug makes me sick..there are people with body issues that will be sent over the edge from his stupid comments.

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?