Thursday, May 2, 2013

The SAHM Dress Code

I am currently a stay at home mom (SAHM). I get up, every morning, at 7 am and take the older two to school, then I come home, get the youngest up at 8 and take her to school. From 9-2:30, my day is free, then I do the picking them up and we go to the various activities they have. 

Until recently, I never really thought about the attire or look of a SAHM, but for some reason, I have been paying attention a lot more lately. I don't know if it's because I'm trying to lose weight and I'm looking for clothing ideas or what, but I really feel underdressed for being a SAHM.

I see them, every day in the pick up line, hair done nice, make up on, clothes that fit just so and aren't stained up. I think to myself...hmmm....what's with that?! Yesterday, by the time I got home from taking Anastasia to softball practice, I had syrup and dirt on my pants and blood and dirt on my shirt (Cailin was playing and fell down, scrapping her knees. I got blood on me when I picked her up). My hair was a mess and I was just absolutely EXHAUSTED! Meanwhile, there is a lady that was helping her daughter that was dressed in what looked like work out clothing, but it looked designer and she had perfect hair and makeup.

Ummmm......

What am I doing wrong here?

I could see myself wearing stuff like this........

Or something like this,

Or, if I'm going out with the husband, this....


But honestly, more often than not, I'm at home. And I don't see the point in getting all dolled up to stay at home. I don't see the point to put make up on and do my hair to go pick the kids up from school. By the time my husband gets home, I'm in the process of making dinner, the kids have driven me nuts and I'm ready for a glass bottle of wine.

My hair is an unruly mess of curls and thickness. Because of that, I wear it in a ponytail or messy bun most of the time. When I DO get it cut and styled, it looks great...until I wash it. After that, I can't figure out how to restyle it. Me and my straightener do NOT get along and, because my hair is so thick, it takes forEVER, so I just don't wanna do it.

My hair
And makeup.....I'm fairly certain that I lack the gene that allows me to put make up on and it look decent. I can't figure that out. Usually, I just do my eyes...add some eyeshadow, eyeliner and mascara. I RARELY wear lipstick, because it usually comes off and because I'm an avid user of chapstick and it doesn't go well together.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of this somehow ties in to my self esteem and the fact that I need to lose weight, but I'm really starting to feel under dressed when I am standing in the pick up line. Is it just me, or did becoming a SAHM mean that I had to follow a dress code?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a SAHM so I can't really comment but I want to say that I love your curls - I'm a curly chick too ;) :)

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?