Monday, June 3, 2013

Oh Domesticated Am I!

Every so often, it hits me how domesticated I've become, much to my own disdain. I fought, for so long, against this. I pushed, I scratched, I clawed, I stood like a toddler with my arms crossed against my chest, persistently shaking my head in refusal.

When I met my husband, I informed him that I didn't know how to cook, so I hoped he enjoyed spaghetti, hamburger helper, and mac and cheese, because that's all I knew how to make and I wasn't interested in doing it any differently. Until I met my husband, I didn't know that you were suppose to wait until the rinse cycle to put fabric softener in the washer. I remember telling him that I wasn't "wired" to be a stay at home mom and housewife, that I was suppose to work.

Yet here I am, 5 years later, a stay at home mom. My kids are on summer vacation and I find myself spending a ridiculous amount of time on Pinterest looking up projects that I can do with them. I look up more efficient ways to do do things around the house, projects that I can do myself for around the house and recipes that I'll likely never pull off.

Here are just a few things that I find myself doing, that I never dreamed I'd do.

* I can make a meatloaf. Me! The girl who couldn't cook if her life depended on it. I can make a really good meatloaf. I can make chicken noodle soup from scratch. I make baked chicken, I make chicken parm, I make parm crusted chicken, I make pot roast......I can cook! Not only can I cook, but I actually, some times, ENJOY IT!

* I find myself, while I'm doing laundry, carefully going over the clothes, looking for stains that I can attempt to get out with my off brand, DollarTree stain remover. (Though, much to my husband chagrin, I'm still HORRIBLE at laundry and prefer he'd do it.)

* I was overjoyed to have my Libman Spray and Mop thing...and I use it....DAILY!

* I consider myself victorious because I got 4 tubes of toothpaste for $.24 using coupons.

* I DVR Criminal Minds and watch it....religiously.

* I am extremely anal about cleaning my kitchen table. I have to spray it with cleaner, scrub it with a scrub sponge, then do the same with the chairs.
 
*I, at one point, had a stock pile from couponing and I'd really like to get that built back up.


* I've become a sports mom.

* I have several projects that I will (one day) get around to completing.

* I have attempted (and failed miserably) to grow plants.

* I drink coffee....and I love it!

I've become domesticated. I've become what I fought so hard against. And NOW, the thought of working scares me and makes me feel extreme guilt. I want to be on the PTO and SBDM council at the kids' school. I want to be the team mom, the room mom. I want to volunteer and find a church to be active in. 

What's happened to me?!

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how becoming a wife and mother changes us a little bit {ok, a lot!}

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?