Monday, July 22, 2013

Birthday Parties CAN Be A Learning Experience

My twins will be 9 (9! Really?!) on Wednesday. We had their party yesterday. It was quite the learning experience, both for future parties and to see who your friends are.

I'd invited several people, both family friends (or what I thought was family friends) and school mates that they have on their Facebook pages (yes, my 9 year olds have Facebook pages. They like to play games on it). Anastasia invited her entire softball team. We expected it to be a pretty big turn out. We were going to have it at a local park that has a splash pad so the kids could run crazy, get wet, and have a blast.

Only ONE person from her team RSVP'd. A few of my friends said yes. The forecast called for rain, but not until AFTER the party.

It started raining BEFORE and right up till about 30 minutes before the party, so we switched it to our house. I called the team mate that RSVP'd to tell her about it, only to find out they were canceling on us. Half of the people who said they were coming didn't and had one excuse after the other. One even LIED to me about why she couldn't come.

In the end, there was my family of 5, my mom, my Dad, stepmom, my sisters, my brother-in-law, my niece, my bestie (former crafty mom Patty), her husband and their 2 boys, my other bestie and her daughter.

And you know what? WE HAD A BLAST! The kids ran around and played and just had a good time. We had cupcakes, we had sandwiches and chips, we all sat around and talked. It was an awesome time.

It was a learning experience for me, because it taught me who my true friends are. I have friends who I feel is holding on to the friendship for the sheer fact that it's lasted as long as it has. I'm thinking I might actually be doing the same thing, if I'm being 100% honest. But it is what it is.

Here are some pictures from the party.

Part of the cupcakes. There were 44 total.
PRESENTS!!!
The birthday boy! He looks so grown up here.
The birthday girl! She looks grown up too!
Cailin found Patty's PS Vita and suddenly, I'm out my bestie!

They got a lot of great stuff. Sebastian already had a PS3, so he got a game, 2 Skylander Giants he needed, a Magic 8 ball, a catapult kit, a baseball game, a new outfit and a book. Anastasia got a Xbox 360 with Kinnect (we got an AMAZING deal on it! $20!!), a dance game for it, a purse, nail polish, a wax burner with the bars, an outfit, a magic 8 ball and some hair stuff. They loved their gifts.

Next month, we get to do this all over again for Cailin and I've only invited the people who showed up for the twins' party. We've decided that we are going to just let them do whatever they want to do instead of having a party. They seemed to like that idea.

Wednesday, they will turn 9 and you'll get a whole new blog all about them.

2 comments:

  1. It's not how many attend a party, but the time had by those who do!

    Happy Birthday to your beautiful children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely correct. And those who were here had a blast!

      Thank you!

      Delete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?