Friday, July 12, 2013

Let's Get Lost Shall We?



It's time for Secret Subject Swap!

Today, 11 bloggers (and me!) will be exchanging subjects and writing them in our own way. This is a fun project that I do every month and it was thought up by the fabulous Miss Karen from Baking in a Tornado.

My subject is "What's your favorite past time and how often do you get to do it?". This came from the lovely Christine from Moore Organized Mayhem (she's playing too, so make sure you check out what subject she got!)

I am an avid book reader. I absolutely, positively LOVE getting lost in a book. There is just something amazing about curling up and reading. 

I love to read paranormal type books. One of my favorite authors is Rachel Vincent. She wrote a series of books about a werecat community (it's called the Shifters series). It's an amazing series of books with a very strong, female lead character. I've read this series many times, so many, in fact, that the first book, Shift, pretty much fell apart and I need a new one (hint, hint! lol). Another series of books that I love is by Julie Kenner and it's the Demon Hunting Soccer Mom series. Basically, Buffy grew up, moved to the suburbs and became a parent. It follow Kate Connor through her life after coming out of retirement to face demons. It has action, romance, comedy, and something that mom's can really get in to. 

I've recently started reading the series of books that the HBO show True Blood is about, the Sookie Stackhouse novels. I am currently averaging a book in a day and a half, and I'm almost completely through the series, which makes me sad as I don't own them, I'm borrowing them from the library. Being nerdy like I am, I also slowly making my way through the show, True Blood. It is very naughty and absolutely awesome. 

In addition to the paranormal books, I love crime mysteries. I'm confident that I've read enough of these books that I could work for the FBI, but sadly, they won't hire me. A few of my favorite authors are J.T Ellison, John Grisham, and Mariah Stewart. 

Naturally, I do like some romance books and I love just about anything written by Nicholas Sparks. And I LOVED the Hunger Games trilogy. I will generally try to read just about anything out there and, if it doesn't catch my attention, I'll put it down and move on.

Now, how often do I get to read? Every day. I will read at dinner, in the bathroom (don't you judge me), before I go to bed....basically, any time I get the chance. We visit the library at least once or twice a week. When the kids are in school, I tend to go more than that, just to enjoy my time. My husband is an avid reader as well and all 3 kids love to read (well, Cailin loves to look at books and figure out the story). Naturally, this makes me absolutely thrilled. Anastasia reads on a 6th grade level!! Sebastian probably reads on a little higher level than tested, but he freezes up during testing, much like I do. But we are a family of readers.

I'm always open to suggestions, so feel free to comment below and give me some ideas of books to read. And let me suggest a few blogs for you to read, the other 11 wonderful folks that are in the swap!

Baking In A Tornado                                   
Just A Little Nutty                                
Follow Me Home                          
Moore Organized Mayhem             
Stacy Sews and Schools                
The Sadder But Wiser Girl                                
Menopausal Mother                     
Dinosau Superhero Mommy                                     
The Insomniac's Dream                            
Searching For Sanity                       
Evil Joy Speaks                              

24 comments:

  1. OMGOSH!! We are almost book twins!!! LOL
    Except for Nicolas Sparks. I try to avoid him after being completely emotionally destroyed by one of his books. I don't think I have ever cried over one book as much as I did that one!
    Well, not counting Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Ol' Nick Sparks has a way of just making you fall absolutely in love with his characters. My favorite, of course, is The Notebook (oh, Ryan Gosling......).

      Delete
  2. reading is a great way to pass the time, broaden your mind and travel without leaving home. I love to listen to books on tape while crocheting.

    I read Tess Gerritsen's series Rizzoli and Isles...it's gory crime drama...but truly awesome. I also loved her book The Body Farm...it had it all, even romance.

    I am now reading Debbie Macombers series Blossom Street...sweetly romantic and heart warming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall check those both out! Reading is so much a part of my life. And it's something I'm thrilled I've passed down to my kids.

      Delete
  3. Books have always been my vacation and me time. I love how you've passed that love down to your children. It is a passion that they will have life long and will always find comfort and joy in.
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. The other day, it was pouring the rain and I just curled up in the corner of the couch and read. My kids all went to their own rooms and did the same. I'm trying to pass down my love for The Babysitter's Club to my daughter, but she's just not having it.

      Delete
  4. Reading is the best escape ever. I still have those Sookie Stackhouse books to get to. I made a deal with myself to reread the high school novels we were required to read. I can't believe how much more enjoyable they are now. I just finished The Catcher in the Rye" and "Why the Caged Bird Sings". Both excellent and unrecognizable. I must have "Cliff-note" cheated is High School. ;(
    For a million laughs, read anything by David Sedaris. Of course, there's Harry Potter. All day, every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a majority of the books we read in high school several times, like "To Kill A Mockingbird" or "Of Mice and Men"....I'll have to check out David Sedaris. For shame, I know, but I can't get lost in Harry Potter....I know, I know..... *hangs head in shame*

      Delete
  5. We have the same exact taste in books! You should try Lauryl K Hamilton if you enjoy the naughty vampire stuff.

    I'm currently writing a series about a werewolf community in Arizona. :)

    -The Insomniacs Dream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to read the Anita Blake series before, but my brother kept taking them, so I need to start from book one. There was another author, though I can't remember her name, that was just delicious to read!

      Oh, that sounds interesting!! I wanna read it!!!

      Delete
  6. I'm a reading fanatic too, my favorites being mysteries.

    They used to know me at the library. Now I have my Kindle and I just love that I can take library books out on it. The world truly is mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that we can take books out on Kindle, though I no longer have mine. They are getting to know me at the library, but I take the kids to all the events and stuff too. My dream is to work there....

      Delete
  7. Hopped over here from Meno Mom. Omg you are me! Well, with less kids, in a different state etc etc lol... I read all.the.time. I love paranormal and seriously it's a sickness sometimes. I can blow through a book a day or more depending on how good the book is. Drives the husband crazy sometimes.

    Heres a few more series you might want to check out. Katie MacAlister (the Aisling Grey series) It's about dragons and seriously hysterically funny.

    Gerry Bartlett (Real vampires series) It's about a vampire who was turned when she was overweight. Also funny

    Elizabeth A Reeves (Cindy Eller series "How not to") This book will make you hungry! Shes a witch and a baker.

    Anyhoo, those are a few of my new favorites I thought I would share. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats! You were my 900th comment!!!

      Thanks for the suggestions. I've read some of Gerry Bartlett and had actually planned on revisiting her when I finished the Sookie books. I'll check out the others as well! And I'm about to head over to check out your blog!

      Delete
  8. OMG! I feel like we are one of a kind. I'm also in love with reading and LOVE reading paranormal stuff. I started watching True Blood on HBO a year ago and never got to finish it. I think I may order the books. You mentioned quite a few that look interesting. I'm reading "Experiment in Terror" right now by, Karina Halle. Soo good!! I read alot at night and it freaks me the hell out. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check that one out! Thanks.

      True Blood.....my naughty little secret. haha

      Delete
  9. Oh, I miss reading novels!! I used to go through several week...until I started blogging. Now it seems I only have time to read blogs--which I love doing, but I miss my favorite authors. LOVE Nora Roberts (only the later stuff) and Susan Elizabeth Phillips always made me smile with her comedic romance novels. I'm glad you are still able to indulge in your favorite pastime----reading is the best hobby I can think of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it is. I find myself reading a lot more here lately than I did in the past.

      Delete
  10. I loved the Hunger Games series. I borrowed my sister's copies of the books, then I had to go out and buy my own copies. I think I've read the series four times now, but I always want to go back and start again when I get to the end of the series.

    I love meeting another avid reader. Ever since I was a kid I've not been able to go to bed unless I have a good book waiting for me next to my pillow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the first one on a digital download on a smart phone, then my husband surprised me with the set. I can't WAIT for Catching Fire to hit theaters!

      Delete
  11. I used to read a book a day. Now I'm lucky if I get one read a year. I just can't imagine why I don't read books anymore... Good for you-keep up the reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I read more now that my kids a little older...I think that helps.

      Delete
  12. I love reading books, but it seems like I'm reading more of blogs that anything else nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, I liked your post - found you on the Secret Subject Swap via Searching for Sanity. Great idea by the way! I love that you love your books so much as a family, it's a subject very close to my heart. And thanks for the tip about the Demon Hunting Soccer Mom series - I'm definitely getting hold of that, Buffy was my favourite show once upon a time!!

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?