Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Mom and a Broken Record: The Tale Of Repeat

I'm starting to learn a thing or two about being the parent of tweens. Most parents get to experience this with one child, either a boy or girl. Me....oh no, I get to do it with BOTH genders, thanks to having twins. 

Can I just say, this is no walk in the park!

I've decided that, as my children get older, I become more and more like that warped and broken record that you just can't part with. I am repeating myself, over and over and, when I think I'm speaking clearly, I am obviously coming out garbled. Unfortunately, there is little I can do about this.

Due to the fact that I have 9 year olds that are entering the tween phase, I'm finding that lists are being created to keep my sanity in check. Of course, I'm living in a fool's paradise, because, let's just be honest, the lists aren't doing a damn thing to help. They can read them, they just choose NOT to.

Daily, you hear me repeating the following:
*Clean your room up.
*Did you put the lid back on the tooth paste?
*For the love of GOD, please check your nose!
*Clean your room up.
*Stop standing on the chair like that.
*Are you sure that's ALL the homework you have?
*Clean your rooms up.
*Shut the front door. (this is NOT a nice way of saying "shut the f&*k up....this is to be taken literal)
*I don't know what we are having for dinner yet.
*No, it's NOT fried chicken. Or tator tots. Furthermore, everything I cook doesn't smell like fried chicken or tator tots.
*Clean your room up.
*Turn off the bathroom light.
*Stop yelling at your sister/brother.
*CLEAN YOUR ROOM UP!

I'm quickly learning that the boy child is going through a hormone spurt or something. He's starting to get stinky, his room has that stench of a boy to it now and he's very moody. He snaps at his sisters ALL THE TIME when he use to be really laid back. I told the husband that it was time to have The Talk with the boy, but he disagrees. Anyway, I decided that I needed to make sure he practices proper hygiene. Him and the girl child both need to. So, I wrote out a list of what they need to do in the morning and taped it where they could see it. It's nothing major, just put on your deodorant, brush your teeth, make sure your face is clean...that sorta thing. Do they do it? No! So I have to repeat what is clearly on the list for them to read.

I'm not ready for this, guys. I'm really not. I thought I had a few more years before I had to deal with this. But it's sneaking up on me in a way that I don't think my heart can handle. I always KNEW they'd grow up, but I wasn't ready for it to happen right now.

I also wasn't ready to be in the middle of a never ending game of Repeat either. Yet here I am, repeating myself so much that even the husband gets told to do what I tell the kids too. How I manage to form a blog is beyond me......

Clean your room!



2 comments:

  1. Well put my daughter.... Welcome to the world of parenting .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little early, but let the games begin.

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?