Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Realization of a Dream

In August of 2003, I met a man and fell in love. 

3 months later, I was pregnant. With twins.

July 24, 2004, those twins were born. 

5 months later, said man walked out.

For four years, I was a single mother, raising twins on my own. Then I met my husband and we got married. My twins started calling him Daddy. 

He didn't freak out.

He didn't run.

Instead, he asked their father, who was sporadically a part of their lives, for his blessing in adopting them. It was given, but nothing more was done.

Fast forward to January 2012. We finally have the money to pay the attorney and start the adoption proceedings. He gets served and has 30 days to file an answer. He waits until the 30th day to give his response.

He's contesting it.

What should have, COULD have been over in 6 months ended up taking 20. 

But as of yesterday, it's over.

Yesterday, we went to court and the judge terminated his rights. She granted the adoption, making my husband the legal father of my twins. Their middle and last names were changed.

For the first time in all of their existence, we have the same last name. 

I hold no ill feelings for the man who helped me create two of my biggest blessings in life. I could....but I don't. I wish him and his girlfriend well. 

It's done......and I couldn't be happier!

4 comments:

  1. I am soooo happy for you! It's about time this finally came to fruition. Your husband sounds like an incredible man---your family is complete! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not be happier for you. You went through a lot but you never gave up and you got exactly what you wanted, 5 people who love each other and now have the same last name. Congratulations to you all.

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?