Sunday, December 8, 2013

An Advent Calender for Karen

We all know and love Karen from Baking in a Tornado. She's one of my awesome (and probably closest) blogging friends, the mastermind behind Secret Subject Swap and Fly on the Wall, and an amazingly awesome cook (from the descriptions and pictures....I have no idea if they are good or not, considering I don't live with her and can't sample them myself and it seems that mailing them just isn't an option). 

Growing up a poor child in the Appalachia mountains, Karen never got to have an advent calender. Okay, I don't know that she really grew up a poor child in the Appalachia mountains either. But her reason for not having one are hers to tell, not mine. The point is, she didn't have an advent calendar and, well....that simply shall not do!

(I'd like to take a moment to admit ignorance here. I had no idea they were called advent calenders. I always just called them "Countdown to Christmas" calenders. The only advent I know anything about is Final Fantasy:Advent Children. So this took A LOT of investigating and trying to figure out what the hell I was doing here.)

Tamara from Confessions of a part-time working mom secretly emailed a few of us that are blessed to be Karen's friends and asked us if we were down to make a virtual calender for Karen. Naturally, I said yes, because 1)I adore Karen and 2)I'm a bit of a joiner.

In all seriousness though, Karen really is awesome. She's always there with a shoulder to cry on and an ear to talk to. She's pushed me (unknowingly I'm sure) to reach deep into my gut and write about things I generally wouldn't write about. She knows about my secret blog and comments when I take the time to write. She's there for me more than a lot of my friends are and that's pretty amazing, if I do say so myself. I really do adore Karen and appreciate her far more than words can express. 

Having said that, this IS a Christmas advent calender. I thought long and hard about what to "get" Karen and I came up with this. Karen likes to drink and concoct yummy drinks at that. So why not bestow upon her a drink recipe?! And one that fits this blog's Facebook page.

So without further ado, Karen, I present you the Grinch Green Midori Cocktail.

Photo Credit


Prep Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 3 minutes
Yield: 1 Cocktail
Ingredients:
  • 2 oz Midori melon liqueur
  • 1/2 oz lemon juice
  • 1 tsp simple syrup
  • Maraschino cherry for garnish
Preparation:
  1. Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice.
  2. Shake well.
  3. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
  4. Garnish with a maraschino cherry.


    Enjoy, Karen! If I had a glass right now, I'd totally be raising it to you.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Sarah. I wish you were here to raise a glass to a relationship that is every bit mutual as you're a good friend to me as well. You too are always full of praise, support and encouragement and I love calling you my friend.

    One last thing, the best thing about your blogs (both of them) is the evolution of your voice. I don't know that I can take credit for pushing you, you certainly have it in you without me, but I love watching you and your writing style grow. You put yourself out there and we all benefit.

    Thank you for participating in this calendar, and for the yummy drink. XO

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?