Friday, January 31, 2014

Minivans, Soccer Moms, and Ramblings

When I was growing up, I always took the term "minivan driver" and "soccer mom"  to be this Alice Brady type person. Ya know the type.....always rushing to and from activities, but still managing to look perfect while doing it. The stereotypical look......

Photo Credit

 Then I had twins.

Now, from the time they were born until we moved to Kentucky (they were 3), I drove a car. It worked, for the most part. It got the job done. But when I moved here to Kentucky, I didn't have a vehicle. So, I went with my Dad to an auto auction and I got my very first minivan. 

At some point, after having Boy and Girl child, I decided I wanted a Dodge Grand Caravan. It was my life's mission to achieve this and, in February 2008, I did. No, it wasn't brand new. It was a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan that I named Tessie.

Tessie...my big, green monster
Oh, I loved that van. It was the first vehicle that I bought, on my own. I paid $2700 for her. When I got her, she had 87,000 miles on her. She was perfect.

I kept Tessie until October of 2012. I lost her, not by choice, but because I made a bad decision to take out a loan, using her as collateral. I didn't repay the loan, because I got behind on payments, and they came and took her. When I lost her, she had almost 150,000 miles on her. She'd been to Covington and back. She'd been to Florida and back. She'd moved us from a few times, from house to house. I brought Cailin home in her. I loved that van.

I have a new van now, that I love, maybe more than Tessie. Now, I have Miss K. Miss K is my 2006 Kia Sedona LX....the first vehicle that Matthew and I bought in our 5 year marriage. Miss K is sleek. She's classy.

Miss K
We bought her in February 2013. She is a great van....practically perfect. She did have to have some cosmetic work done, because I was hit back in November. But other than that...she's basically perfect.

The point of this post, however, isn't to talk about my minivans. No, the point is to talk about me. I don't fit that misconceived notion I use to have of what a minivan driving sports mom looked like. Oh, sure, I have that stick figure family on the back. But I also have an "I love zombies" magnet. I'm far from put together most days. In fact, most days, I look like a homeless person (I think anyway...). I have tattoos, if I had them to wear, I'd be in band tshirts. I don't have classical music or anything like that playing at a perfect level. No, just this morning, I was rocking out, rather loudly (at 7:30 AM) to Disturbed. When I step out of the van with my family, we don't have that air of "perfection" I use to think came with being a minivan driving sports mom. Half the time, I'm yelling at one kid while The Hubs is trying to keep another from running into the street.

I guess the point of this isn't minivans, or soccer moms, or anything like that. I guess the point of it is misconceptions. We all have them.

I think we need less of them.......





post signature 

2 comments:

  1. It's not other people's concept of what something stands for that matters, it's our own. When we do what's right for us and ignore what others may think of it life sure does get a lot less complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice looking van you got there! My kids are grown but we still have a VERY OLD mini van from 1999 that the hubs is driving. I'm shocked that to still runs….but I don't want to jinx it!

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?