Friday, May 2, 2014

The Sunshine in the Storm

Last week, we got a phone call that no one wants to get. My husband's 20 year old nephew was killed in a motorcycle accident. Immediately, my heart broke for my sister-in-law. No one should have to plan a funeral for their child.

On Saturday, after Boy Child's soccer game, we came home, packed up and headed to Michigan to attend the funeral and offer our support for the family. Our destination is only about 8 hours north of Kentucky (where we live). That is including time for 3 bathroom stops. 1 tank of gas got us to Michigan. Another tank got us around the suburbs of Detroit and to my husband's old stomping grounds in Port Huron.

I'd never been to Michigan. The furthest north I'd been was my birth town of Dayton, Ohio. I didn't expect, under the circumstances, to get up there and enjoy myself, but I did. I also didn't expect, once we got to Port Huron, to absolutely fall in love with the place.

But I did.

As we drove up to Lakeside Park, on the shore of Lake Huron, I felt a peace come over me I hadn't felt in a long, long time. I was giddy with excitement. We only stayed about 5 minutes, because it was cold and Lil Bit had left her jacket at my sister-in-law's house. But those 5 minutes pretty much did me in. I was hooked.

I have lived in both Kentucky and Florida. Neither place is "home" to me though. I'm pretty sure I have some Gypsy blood in me, because I have a vagabond spirit. I don't like the thought of being tied down to one place, which is probably why we haven't become homeowner's yet. But when we were in Port Huron, I just knew this was the place my heart needed to be.

After much talking and a TON of research, we have decided that we are going to move there this summer. We already have the plans set in motion. We have an apartment picked out that won't be available until we are ready to move (sign number 1 that it was destined to happen). We have all the information we need and we are playing this smart, unlike the catastrophe that was us moving to Florida in 2010. We have a plan for success that I'm excited to see come to light.

There are many reasons we are moving. There are more opportunities up there for us and the kids. There are more chances to make awesome memories. There is more culture. But one of the biggest reasons we are moving is because, for the first time in I'm not sure how long, I had my son back. I've touched, briefly, on how Boy Child is suffering from depression and anxiety. Since the last time I wrote about it, it has gotten worse. While we were in Michigan, however, I saw the little boy that he use to be. He was smiling. He was happy. He was eating. Some will argue that this was because we were on "vacation". But for The Hubs and I, it was so much more than that.

Naturally, I will keep you all in the loop about this journey. And I'm excited because I know this will bring about some growth in my writing, because I'll have more to write about than sitting around the house and cleaning. 

Here's to a new chapter for our family. 

And here's to finding happiness in an otherwise sad situation.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for the loss that brought you to Michigan. I honestly can't and don't want to imagine.

    But I'm glad that this new chapter in the life of your family is taking shape and that you're all so happy and hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck!! I am truly happy for you, but sad for the loss of your nephew. Hugs for boty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know of a few who are unhappy about your move, and it's understandable. However, seeing the happiness on your son's face after all the suffering he's done is so worth it. Even if you hated the place. I think you're doing the right thing, and I admire you for doing it. Moving so far away is intimidating under most circumstances, but you seem more impatient than anything. I'm very happy for you and your family. Best of luck to you guys.

    Hmmm, the thing won't let me choose who I'm commenting as so I shall sign it. :)

    --Jen Stephens

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?