Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Moving Is Like An Adjustable Waist.....

With every move, there comes things that you need to adjust to. You need to get use to your surroundings, you need to re-learn the layout of stores, etc, etc. There is always a period of being discombobulated and sometimes, it can feel overwhelming.

This is particularly true when you move to a new state all together. 

The are the things I am getting use to, being a transplant here in the great state of Michigan.

* The accent. It's this weird cross between city and Canadian.That's the only way I know to describe it. People also talk a lot faster up here. It takes some getting use to and you really have to listen when spoken to, so you can make sure to catch every thing.

* The roads and rules of it. The roads are TERRIBLE up here. Absolutely terrible.
I kid you not, there are signs that say Michigan is dead last in road funding. In addition to the horrible roads, there are not a lot of arrows on the lights for turning. And there are yield signs when there should be stop signs. It's very weird and somewhat confusing.
 
*Empties. Next time you pick up a can or bottle of soda, look near the barcode. See where it says MI ¢10? That means, if you return that item to the store for recycling, you will get ¢10. When you buy just about anything that you drink out of, like a can or a bottle, you pay a ¢10 deposit. You save those when you have drank the soda, beer, whatever. These are called "empties". You collect them and take them back to the store where, after putting them in this machine, you get a slip that you take and get cash back from. It is nothing to see people bringing cart loads of empties into a store. I've gotten myself in the habit of checking EVERYTHING to see if you get the deposit back or not.
 
*The sun. I know, you are thinking "what?!" Michigan is flat. There aren't many hills and no mountains around me. This results in the sun rising earlier and setting later. Seriously, 9:30 pm is practically mid-day bright around here. Okay, that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but it isn't dark, I can tell you that. I got up at 6:30 this morning, because it was so bright out. 
 
*The weather. It's June 10th. The high for today is 71*. 
71........
In the middle of June. Actually, June 15, it looks like the temp will be 78*. Still. It isn't sweltering hot here. Which, by the way, I love. Now, come winter, my story will probably change.
 
There is a lot more that I could write about. But I am still getting use to my surroundings, so I want to save some....there might be a part 2, who knows. I still love my area though. I love being here. I'm happy here and I love getting to explore. 
 
Isn't the adjustment part of the fun when moving?

2 comments:

  1. Some adjustments are fun and some not so much. I love recycling here at the house but I'd hate to have to pack them up, drive them to a store, stick them in a machine and then have to turn in a slip. Sounds like a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got to move but I will MISS YOU when I go through kentucky again!!!

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?