Monday, July 7, 2014

The Struggle and The Phoenix

According to Greek mythology, the phoenix is a bird that is reborn from the ashes of it's predecessor. It's a symbol long associated with strength and a fighting spirit. 

It can't be kept down.

Now, I'm not going to go all "Oh, I'm like a phoenix" on you, but as I lay in bed, battling yet another night of insomnia, I find myself thinking of this mythological bird and how it can be applied to so many trials of life.

In May, my family and I set out to make a life for ourselves in Michigan. We sold several things, moved out of the home we were renting for two years, put everything else in storage and headed for things unknown. It was a new beginning for our family, one that would bring about a change in me, but more importantly, one that would give us back our son.

Michigan seemed like a magical place, but it turned out that it wasn't a place we were meant to live, because here we are, back in Kentucky after having only spent three weeks in the place that felt like home to me. Of course, there is a lot more too our crash and burn, but I won't go into all of that. Let's just say that for the past week, life was looking very gloomy.

Then, the sun started to poke through. I went on a job interview and, the next day, I was offered the job. I start in a little over a week. This is a job with awesome pay and with a company that I'm hoping will provide me with a chance to move up the ranks. Then The Hubs got called in for an interview, which I know he will nail (he has yet to not get a job after an interview). After that, we received some more awesome news that is going to help us greatly with getting back up after life knocked us down.

We went through the struggle, through the flames, and from the ashes, we are raising again. Yes, my kids are going to have to go the same school they were in and I DO worry about Boy Child. He says he's fine with it and even looking forward to it. Time will tell, though. But this year is going to bring about personal growth for all of us, growth that is much needed.

The Hubs and I have decided to put roots down and make this area our home. We are tired of moving and we want our kids to make life long friends. We will teach them the values and morals we feel are important, even if they don't jive with the rest of those in this town. We have realized that it is time to grow up and prove to the world, to ourselves, that we CAN make our dreams come true.

Here's to the struggle.
And here is to the phoenix.
May they make us stronger than we knew we were.

1 comment:

  1. You are, without a doubt, stronger than you knew you were. You prove it every day, and I don't mean just in the big ways but in small ways as well.

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?