Friday, September 5, 2014

Punky Power and Jem Girls

I'm about to reveal my age here......
I was born in 1982. 
Growing up, TV was so much better than it is now. It was purer, innocent, and full of good messages. 
They just don't make them like they use too. 
I wanted to be so many characters as a kid. 
Jem.

Punky Brewster.

She-ra.

So many awesome, strong female leads in 80's TV.
I loved shows like David the Gnome.

I adored The Adventures of the Little Prince.

And people don't remember it, but I LOVED the Hugga Bunch.

People also don't remember Lady Lovely Locks.

As I got older, I loved shows like Hey Dude.

And Salute Your Shorts.

Come on...if you don't know that the term "UNDAPANTS!!!!" came from Boy Meets World, then I'm sorry...

Now, I'm a mama and I find myself watching what my kids watch. Good Luck Charlie, Austin and Ally, Girl Meets World, Dog with a Blog, etc. I don't let them watch a lot of Nick shows, because I don't think they are as wholesome as Disney. Plus, Disney isn't afraid to air controversial things, like the Good Luck Charlie episode that had the lesbian couple.

They also watch Once Upon a Time, which, let's face it, is an AWESOME show.

I love the shows I grew up watching, but I like some of the shows the kids watch. Luckily, they are good kids and pick some pretty decent shows.

I hope you enjoyed this walk down memory lane!!!

This post is part of the Secret Subject Swap, hosted by my beautiful friend Karen from Baking in a Tornado. My subject is "What kid TV shows did you watch? What shows do your kids watch now? Which ones do you think are better? Why?" and it was submitted by another beautiful Karen from Dinosaur Superhero Mommy. Thank you for such a great subject! Do me a favor and check out my friends' posts and see what topic they got!


Baking in a Tornado                             
Spatulas on Parade                         
Stacy Sews and Schools                    
 Sparkly Poetic Weirdo                               
 Evil Joy Speaks                   
Confessions of a part-time working mom                          
Someone Else's Genius                       
Dinosaur Superhero Mommy                                     
The Bergham's Life Chronicles                       
Climaxed                           


16 comments:

  1. oh gosh I feel old. I was married in 1982... wow
    Great prompt and fun to stroll down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way!!! You don't look old enough to be married 32 years.....

      Delete
  2. I was born in '74 so I remember the first half of your list very well!!! Some of my favorites!!! :D
    I always wanted a room like Punky Brewster's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salute Your Shorts? Is that really a thing or did you just make that up?
    Obviously I don't watch a lot of the shows that your kids do, but Once Upon A Time is one I do and it IS awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really a thing.....lol
      OUAT is a great show....Lil Bit is absolutely thrilled that they are bringing Frozen to Storybrook....

      Delete
  4. Definitely don't remember Hugga Bunch-sorry!

    Loved Thundercats and She-ra though! And Friday nights were always spent watching Step by Step, Dinosaurs and Family Matters too :-)

    I haven't seen the Girl Meets World yet...I'm hoping to watch it soon and fall in love with it like I did with Boy Meets World.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many people do and that makes me sad.
      I liked Thundercats, Step By Step, Family Matters, Full House and...come on....NOT THE MAMA!!!! lol
      Girl Meets World is cute. I've seen one episode and I loved it.

      Delete
  5. As I have been growing up under a rock in my quaint country I don't know those shows, but I will have to come back to your post and watch them all :-) Even so, I think every grown-up says the olden day shows were better - and that's probably OK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is as pure any.....that makes me sad. Yes, you MUST check them out! Jem, I think, is streaming on Netflix...at least here in the States it is.

      Delete
    2. Don't get me started on Netflix… we don't have that either. You need an IP address that is associated to the U.S.

      Delete
  6. I have an old blog post about Jem! Girl, we could totally hang out in our pjs all day watching those shows. Did you have a Lady Lovelylocks doll??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had SEVERAL of them. I use to hang the little things in my hair.....Oh man.
      Yes, hanging out in a jammies all day would be AWESOME!

      Delete
  7. I was born the same year and I don't remember most of that list, but I loved Boy Meets World - Girl Meets World is them all grown up with a kid of their own! I about died!

    What about Blossom? No one remembers that show! Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake, the ORIGINAL My Little Pony, Care Bears... yeah. I had a colorful childhood :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was so excited when they announced they were making Girl Meets World....

      Oh, I remember Blossom...WHOA!!! and Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake (my girls LOVE the shows now...and the DVD cases smell like strawberries!), My Little Pony and Care Bears.....

      Delete
  8. Love the fall background and totally agree...though I think my parents would have thought my shows were annoying. I can;t wait till my son is out of the backyardigan, caillou, and bob the builder phase...though I am sure I will cry for them when I see garbage on TV.

    Great job with this prompt babe

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?