Friday, October 3, 2014

The Story of Us

Blue.
That's how I felt as I hugged him one last time, knowing full well that this wasn't for the best.
But it had to happen.
Like two people do, we'd grown apart. Time and distance has a way of doing that to people. 
Yes, even people in love. 
I watched as he boarded the train, leaving for a life that no longer included me or my love. As a couple, we just didn't make sense anymore. Our lives were heading in different directions and, unfortunately, those directions didn't lead us back to each other.
At least not right away.
The train came to life and started chugging away. There he goes, the only love I've ever known. Ours was a love that ran deep inside of the soul, the kind that only exists in books or movies. That we'd found this love was amazing. 
That it came when it did was tragic.
Two kids, heading off into the adult world with little confidence, we just didn't know how to make this work. 
This was for the best....
Right?
My cheeks were wet with my tears as I waved to him, though I couldn't see him and had no idea if he could see me. I clutched the roses he'd given me.
Eleven real and one fake. The fake one was meant to represent our undying love. The gesture, though cliche, was one I would hold dearly to my heart. Our love was eternal. Everlasting.
I turned and walked away from the platform, weeping as if a part of me had died and I guess, if you thought about it in those terms, a part HAD died. The part that held him in it. There was a hole in my heart that was shaped like him and that only he could fill. He was gone. 
He was really gone.....

...Now I stand here, starring down at him. The years have passed and were kind to him.Letters came and went between us until one day, they stopped. He'd found love in that far off land and that love produced a beautiful family with three children and later, several grandchildren and even a few great grandchildren. I'd found love, though one that wasn't near as passionate as that summer, 60 years ago. The summer I turned 17. The summer he turned 18 and joined the Army. My love produced two children, five grandchildren and one great grandchild. Only last year did I lose my husband.
Now, I've lost my true love.
I bent down, tears once again soaking my cheeks and I kissed his forehead.
"Good-bye, my love...." I whispered, lost in my memories of he and I.
I looked at him and noticed a wetness beneath his eyes and my breath hitched.
There, my tears had fallen and, for a moment, he had my tears running down his face.

Welcome to a Secret Subject Swap. This week, 14 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts.  

My subject was "Write a post that begins with the word blue and ends in the word face." and it was submitted by the awesome Robin from Someone Else's Genius. Thanks for the subject, love!

I decided to do something a little different this month and try my hand at story telling. This is completely fiction. I hope you all enjoyed it.

Please do me a favor and see what my friends have in store for you!

Baking in a Tornado                          
Spatulas on Parade                          
Stacy Sews and Schools                      
The Bergham's Life Chronicles                                                             
Evil Joy Speaks                      
Dinosaur Superhero Mommy                                      
Silence of the Mom                    
Climaxed                                
Sparkly Poetic Weirdo                                  
Someone Else's Genius                           
Crumpets and Bollocks                      
Confessions of a part-time working mom                        

9 comments:

  1. Beautifully written and sad, glad this is fiction.

    I am glad you tried your hand at story telling, you did a fantastic job with this prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to write fiction more often, I could literally feel this story. Great job, you never cease to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm a little blue. But I love love love how you did the subject justice! Beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely perfect! You handled the prompt perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! So glad it is fiction, cause I was tearing up here! Congratulations, nice job!
    Robin did give you an interesting prompt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! I was with you all the way!!! You have the gift of story telling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job with this post. Sorry I'm really late to the game reading it, but it was well written. Loved the last line. "I looked at him and noticed a wetness beneath his eyes and my breath hitched.
    There, my tears had fallen and, for a moment, he had my tears running down his face."

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?