Friday, January 9, 2015

Regret Nothing

“The best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray.”
Life has a way of throwing you a curve ball. No matter what you do to prepare for the unexpected, we are often caught by surprise when the unexpected happens.
There have been many things that I’ve wanted to do in my life that didn’t turn out. From being a singer and performing at sold-out stadium concerts to going to college and completing my degree in the following: teaching, psychology, graphic design, communications, or marine biology. Life had other plans for me, plans that included my being divorced before my 20th birthday, a mother of twins by my 22nd birthday, a wife (again) by my 26th birthday and a mother (again) by my 27th birthday.
I’ve tried to move to other places, only to fall flat on my face and come back to Kentucky with my tail tucked and lick my wounds. Some people would call it failure.
I call it a chance to learn.
Through this all, all of these trials, all of this tests, all of these failures, I have had two choices. I could either let them consume me or I could come out of them fighting and ready to make the situation better.
I chose the latter.
I don’t know that I would go back and change anything or do anything different. Because if I did, I wouldn’t be where I am right now and where that is is pretty damn good. I’m at a point in my life where I truly feel that I am HAPPY, happy enough to make changes in myself and really commit to them. I’ve never felt that way before and it is a really good feeling. I feel confident that the changes I want to make in myself are going to happen and that, come 2016, I’m going to be a better version of myself. I don’t feel the tug, the pull, to go off the script I wrote for myself.
Being happy is such a different feeling. It’s new, it’s exciting, it’s scary, it’s exhilarating. Changing anything, anything at all in my past would throw this off course.  I wouldn’t want to lose this for anything in this world.
Well, I guess I lied. There is ONE thing I’d change. I wouldn’t have lost my storage unit that I had in Florida. My kids’ baby books, bring home outfits, lots of sentimental items were lost in that unit. I wish I had them again. Other than that, I wouldn’t change anything else.
Changing anything would change who I am right now and I’m starting to really like me.

Welcome to the secret subject swap! I am honored to have gotten my prompt from the very fabulous Karen from Baking In A Tornado.....ya know, the mastermind behind these awesome monthly challenges.

My prompt was "Pick a situation that didn’t go as you’d hoped or planned. Tell the story and how you’d change it. 

I hope I did it justice. Do me a favor, please, and see what my friends are up to!

7 comments:

  1. YAY for happiness!!! You so deserve it!!! And I am so glad you found it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, changing your past would make where you are right now very different. Glad you see your "failures" as the learning opportunities they really are and chances to be a stronger and wiser person

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's be thankful for all our mistakes and failures because they helped make us who we are! Liking who we are and where we are is a wonderful thing. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every thing in the past, good, bad or indifferent leads us to where we are meant to be. There is no place like home

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you choose to embrace your situation and make the best of it! I am always amazed how quickly you move, find houses and jobs, and I am happy that your happy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo! Last year I had a similar prompt and I agree, I would not change a thing because it all made me who I am. Look up and move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inspiring! I'm happy that you're happy and comfortable being you. 'Cause you are an awesome person to be!

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?