Friday, September 4, 2015

I Wish You Could See What I Was

Often times, I try to let my witty or, what I think is funny, side show. If I'm really honest, the reason why is because I don't feel like I'm that intelligent. Am I smart? Sure. But, to me, there is a difference between smart and intelligence.
I am a high school dropout. I got my GED the same year I dropped out. I have some college credits, but not a lot. I've always been content with just getting by with what I could. I never wanted to do the extra stuff to get the better diploma in school. I just wanted the bare minimum.

Then I get into debates. I research what I'm going to say. I look into what the argument is. I have intelligent debates and, damn it, I sound the part. In those moments, I think to myself "Why can't I be like this more often?!"

If I could have any one trait transparent, it would be that one. People would meet me and see the intelligence rather than the smart ass front I put on as a defense mechanism. The Hubs always gets on to me because I am always "on" in front of people. It's not because of any reason other than I don't feel comfortable trying to push the intelligent side of me through. So I let the smart ass side come out and, sadly, he gets to be the one that takes the brunt of it. I shy away from showing that side of me because I'm always worried I'll actually just look dumb. I'd hate that.

So that's the one trait I wish the world could see. I'm smarter than I seem. Just get me in a good debate and watch me go.

Welcome to a Secret Subject Swap. This week 16 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts.

My subject is "If you could make one of your traits transparent-that the moment someone sees you they'd be privy to this characteristic of yours-what would it be?" and it was submitted by the lovely Jenn from Sparkly Poetic Weirdo. Thank you! 

Check out the links below to see what my friends have for you. 

Baking In A Tornado                          
The Bergham’s Life Chronicles                    
Stacy Sews and Schools                 
Dinosaur Superhero Mommy                            
Spatulas on Parade                 
Southern Belle Charm                        
The Angrivated Mom                  
Confessions of a part time working mom                          
The Lieber Family Blog                                               
Cluttered Genius                                  
Someone Else’s Genius                            
House of J Chronicles                          
Climaxed                                 

13 comments:

  1. Great prompt and response! I am not sure what trait I would want to be seen by all, I kind of like keeping myself hidden from those I don't like or trust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it sounded like you were writing my story! It's basically identical. I am terrified of looking like a idiot so I often make the husband look like one instead. How sad is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job!! Love your prompt and what you did with it. I think your intellect may be more transparent than you realize. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see the witty. I see the funny. I see the honest and I see the intelligent. You show it more than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my book smart is actually more valuable than "school intelligent" - don't get me wrong, the right diploma can be a door opener for certain paths one might want to follow, but what does it really say about a person? That they were good at playing the game? They fitted into the school system? Then what?

    I am always suspicious of college graduates joining the corporate world. Yes, they logged a lot of hours and scored good grades - how they are going to transfer that theoretical knowledge into the real world, and how they are going to deal with different people and situations, they will have to prove to me first.

    Sarah, the things that strike me about you: you've got an incredible imagination, you have big dreams and you are realistic and hard working. When you fall, you get right back up and try harder. You're supportive and generous. Awesome qualities! And those are just the ones I perceive by reading your blog and FB! ❤

    PS: Guess what, I used to be a good student but I always worried that I wasn't "fun", "pretty" or "popular" enough!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't sell yourself short~ Book learning isn't everything.........

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am the exact opposite. I am always afraid to show my funny thinking no one will find it funny, but I have no possible showing my knowledge and wisdom. Great insight though, I didn't see my over compensation until you made me think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I happen to think that you are very intelligent!!! I can see that so clearly.
    You also have a very caring heart.
    Besides, there's more to intelligence and learning than what is done in school. Most of us never stop learning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job and I think you're great. I have learned over the last year, don't sell yourself short YOU are more than capable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a problem with the "after the fact" intelligence. I'm often horrible in debates b/c I always think later, "Dang! I should have said THAT!" and it's usually GENIUS. :) You should definitely let your intelligence shine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love how you answered this prompt!

    It's hard to show people all of who we are-and sometimes there are people who will purposely stay blind to our intelligence/beauty/kindness because of who they are-but it's important we accept and embrace who we are and be content with our true selves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My smart ass outshines the rest of me frequently. I should maybe work on that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass. ;)

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?