Friday, November 6, 2015

Dirty Bird Chronicles

Until 7 years ago, I had no idea how to cook.
As a matter of fact, when I met The Hubs, my exact words were "I hope you like spaghetti, mac and cheese and Hamburger Helper, because that's all I know how to cook and I have no interest in learning anything else."
Well, luckily for him, I have learned to cook, pretty well actually. But our second Thanksgiving together, we decided to make our first dinner...turkey included. YIKES! I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, but I went with it because, why not?
We bought the turkey, did everything we were supposed to to make sure it would be thawed out and ready for it's time in the oven. We reached out to our moms for advice and basically combined what they said.....this lead to what would become a tradition.
Basically, we give the turkey a bath, then dry it off and smother it with butter. But we take it a step further and call it a dirty bird, smack it on the "butt" and just basically make everyone around us while this is going on extremely uncomfortable. 
It's hilarious.
The turkey was amazing and we became a little addicted, but that's okay.
We do this every year now and my mom even got in on it one year because The Hubs had to work. She was uncomfortable following the tradition, but she was a trooper. As the kids get older, we plan to let them get in on it too and I honestly hope they carry it on to their own families.
This isn't our first bird, but it looks good, huh?
Well, I can't speak for you, but I'm ready for Thanksgiving and a turkey coma!!!

What's your favorite tradition?

Welcome to a Secret Subject Swap. This week 14 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts.
My subject was "Tell us your favorite Thanksgiving day story" and it was submitted by Rena's World. Thank you for allowing me to have this walk down memory lane! (and for making me hungry!! lol)
Check out what my friends have for you below!

Baking In A Tornado                          
Spatulas on Parade                  
Sparkly Poetic Weirdo                                 
Never Ever Give Up Hope                       
The Lieber Family Blog                               
Rena’s World                                   
Dinosaur Superhero Mommy                         
The Bergham Chronicles              
Confessions of a part-time working mom                 
Just a Lovely Day                       
Someone Else’s Genius                 
Climaxed                      
The Angrivated Mom               
 

9 comments:

  1. You smack your dirty turkey, that's hilarious! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I totally need to see a video of that tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, that's too funny! I marinate my turkey in a 5 gallon pickle bucket every year with this brine I created one year by throwing all kinds of shit together that sounded blendable in the moment. It worked and now I'm requested to make other people's turkeys even if I'm not actually invited for dinner! Now I'm gonna kick it up a notch and smack it on the ass too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buttered Turkey sounds wonderful and your tradition will be remembered forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that tradition... I might just have to adopt it and make my family uncomfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I"m betting is helps to tenderize the meat!! LOL! I saw a picture recently where someone put two halves of a lemon under the skin and they look like boobs on the turkey. You might add that to your tradition this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That turkey looks dang good! Getting me in the mood for Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smackin' the bird -- food for thought LOL My daughter taught me that eating turkey once a month is a great tradition so we do that now as well. We love homemade soup and what's better than turkey soup???

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't really cook. I can cook, I just don't cook things Chad likes. This will be our first year really cooking Thanksgiving dinner. We are going to have ham. It's Chad's preference. Fingers crossed that it is a success. We don't really have traditions. I hope to make movies and board games a Thanksgiving tradition. Also sweet potato pie and pumpkin squares.

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?