Friday, April 15, 2016

The Fading of a Friendship

I live for Saturday mornings, because I know exactly what that brings me. 

Time with him, one on one. We disconnect and just hang out in the bed, me with my orange juice and toast, him with his poptarts and chocolate milk. We talk about how the week was, we watch cartoons, we doze in and out of sleep.

These moments are so rare. In today's day and age where we are saturated by technology, it's nice to just shut it off and be simple. It's fun to sit on the floor and play Jurassic Park, where he picks my dinosaur

Our Saturday mornings are a tradition. In the Fall, we have S'mores for breakfast, melting marshmallows over a candle and doing all we can to not make a mess. In the Spring, we throw open the windows and eat while watching the neighborhood come to life. This is what I love to do.

We share whispers, stories of old, our words painting pictures in our mind. I share my fears, my joy, my worries and he listens. No judgment. Just the knowledge that he is there and I can talk freely.

I know these times are slipping away. That makes me sad, because I really love getting to hang out with him. But there isn't anything I can do about it except accept that soon, I won't be able to talk to him like I do now. It won't be long until we are in different places. He might be alone and I think that breaks my heart even more.

Since my family moved in here, I've been friends with Rory, the little boy that lives in the attic. I'm the only one that can see him and that makes our relationship even more special. But I'm getting older and he is starting to fade. He's still the same 5 year old I met, though he seems so much wiser beyond his years. I guess he is, considering he has been in this house for over a century. But we are drifting apart. I made a promise to him that I'd name my first child after him. That made him smile.

So I enjoy our time together, however short it is. He'll always be my best friend, even though only I could see him.


This work of fiction is part of the monthly Use Your Words challenge, hosted by Karen from Baking in a Tornado. Basically, we all submit some words to her and she does her voodoo magic and we all get assigned words. Today, we all share with the world what our words are. 

The words I got were "poptarts, saturated, dinosaur, marshmallows, Spring" and they were submitted by The Diary of an Alzheimer’s Caregiver. Thanks! I hope I did them justice! If you don't care, pop over to my friends' pages and see what they have for you!


 
 

4 comments:

  1. You are the Queen of Verbal Trickery. I think I need to have a crown made for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rory sounds like a wonderful friend :-)

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?