Friday, April 8, 2016

The Laughter Through Our Tears

I had something else written for this swap, but then, tragedy struck and I decided to go a different route. 
My subject is "What has made you laugh lately" and it was submitted by The Lieber Family Blog. I'm going to jump right into it.

Here are the links to the other participants:
Southern Belle Charm                        
The Lieber Family Blog                              
The Angrivated Mom                
The Bergham Chronicles              
Someone Else’s Genius               
My Brain on Kids                                 
Never Ever Give Up Hope                   
Climaxed                  


If you've read my blog for the past almost 2 years, you know all about Pi. He's a fantastic dog, one that filled our hearts with a ton of joy and love.

And lots and lots of laughter.

Pi's shelter picture
We rescued him from the shelter when he was 8 weeks old. He looked like the runt of the litter. A lab/weimaraner mix, we named him Pi because he was a mix of two smart breeds. While he was in every way a big dumb dog, he was also very smart.

Pi and Boy Child
Right away, he changed our lives. He gave us so much joy and laughter. He was a funny dog, loved to argue with you if he felt you were wrong. He was loyal, so very loyal. He loved his family so much.

Lil Bit and Pi watching Shark Week
Girl Child, Pi and Boy Child watching a movie

One of his very favorite things to do was cuddle up with the kids and watch TV. He loved when he got to snuggle with them and just hang out with them.

Ella, Lil Bit and Pi taking a nap

Or nap with them.

He sat in on our family meetings or lectures that were given to the kids. We were never sure if he did this because he was guilty of something or just there for support for them or us. But he was ever present, sitting in a chair like he was a human, listening intently and chiming in when he felt the need.

Family meeting!


He lived for car rides. He loved getting to go one them and insisted on sitting up front.
Pi going on a car ride

In February, we took him and Ella to the groomer and Pi to the vet to get his rabies shot. On the way home, he climbed up front and insisted on sitting on my lap. So here we are, going down the road in a Toyota Corolla with me in the front seat holding my 80lb big baby in my lap. It HAD to be a hilarious sight!

He loved lazy days with The Hubs, watching football and eating unhealthy snacks and just lounging around. Nothing made Pi happier than getting to hang out with his best friend and veg.

He's ready for some football

He also liked to try to "help" me with my schoolwork, often telling me the wrong answers because...well....he's a dog. But he liked to just hang out next to me and watch me do my work.

Let's get this math homework done, Mom!

He seemed to "get" my thing about dogs and wet noses. It's a comfort thing. He seemed to know that if I was upset, because he'd come press his nose against me. Or he would jump up with his paws on my leg and look at me. When I'd turn my head to look at him, he'd press his nose against mine. He was sweet like that.

Such a beautiful dog.

His favorite thing of all though?
Naps! He loved naps.
Pi and Ella napping
Pi and Kitty G napping
Pi stretching out and napping


Pi was the most amazing dog ever and there will never be another dog like him. All of us are a little bit lost right now, because on Monday, 4/4, we lost this amazing creature. Immediately, our house felt a little empty, the silence a little deafening. Ella is lost, looking for him in all the usual places. She doesn't understand where he is, just that she smells him all over the house. Kitty G meows for Pi, looking for his sparring partner. We come home and don't hear his bark. We don't hear the thud of his paws when we walks. I don't have him around to dance with anymore. The Hubs doesn't have him around to bark at him when he (The Hubs) has a dish towel.

I'm heartbroken.

We all are.

But there are so many amazing and wonderful memories of him. So many reasons to smile at the thought of him. There will be a day when talking about him doesn't have that sting, but his memory will be with us forever.

RIP Pi Guy. We love you so much and miss you more than you know.

9 comments:

  1. (((HUGS))) I am so sorry for your loss. Our dogs are our furbabies, our family, it's heartbreaking to lose them. What a beautiful dog he was, I am so glad you all got to experience his love. I still cry when I think of our Balboa. I bet Pi's up there running around with Balboa right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just so so so so sorry. My heart goes out to your family. I loved Pi stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BIG BIG HUGS!! Our 4 legged babies are just that, part of the family and not animals, way more than pets. They are our other kids. I know you miss him and I'm sorry for your loss and feel the love in your sharing with us. Thanks for the photos and stories. RIP Pi and may you run free in the fields of heaven chasing cats and napping on clouds by the lake. <3
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss, Sarah. I'm so glad you rescued him and gave him a great life. And I'm so glad you had him in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very sorry for your loss, Sarah. He was such an amazing family member! I think what I love most about the things you list, is that he sat in on the family meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry Sarah! I had a dog just like him, but brown and we lost him a couple of years ago after getting hit by a truck. We were devastated for a very long time. They become like children, but even better. They don't talk back and the never want money. We are just now starting to talk about getting another one again. We keep saying we are, but haven't actually done anything about it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so heartbroken for you. Losing a furbaby is so hard. I'm glad you have so many good memories with Pi though. They will help you through this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so so sorry to hear about Pi, Sarah. He was a special dog and he was always there when you needed him, so I imagine his loss is that much harder to deal with. Sending big hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This made me cry and also want to scream. It is so unfair. We lost our Mercedez (same breed) last year. Even though we got another dog right away, you can never replace them. They are all so different and love you in their own special way. So sorry for you. He was so young.

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?