Friday, June 10, 2016

Life, Love, Death: A Fictional Story

From the moment we shared the elevator to the second floor of Bloomingdale's, I knew he was the one for me. He had a shy smile that contradicted the mischievous glint in his eyes. I heard him speaking to the person he was with and it was the most beautiful sound in the world. A rich, deep baritone voice that was smooth as silk. 

I could say I feel in love right then...if I was that kind of guy.

Although we lost each other in the store, I took it as a sign that our fate was sealed when we bumped into each other again at a book store a week later. In his hands was one of my favorite novels, so I took this as a chance to strike up a conversation. We talked about the book a little bit and I told him why I loved it. We sat down at the in-house coffee shop and a discussion of books turned into a discussion of everything else. What felt like minutes turned out to be hours of us just sitting and chatting.

It was comfortable. It was familiar. 

Exchanging phone numbers, he asked me out for dinner and I graciously accepted. Being new to this world of being open about my sexuality, I wasn't sure how to handle a public relationship. He could sense this and he helped me ease into a new level I'd never felt before. It was peculiar how he seemed to be able to read me so well. 

Days turned to weeks turned to months turned to years. Our relationship grew at a steady pace, fights rarely taking place, future plans being made. Never would I have dreamed that the day would come when he would ask me for forever. 

We were on vacation, skiing in Colorado. On the top of the roof of the lodge, he had candles and flowers. The sun was setting, it was magical. Removing our gloves, he asked me to be his husband, his partner for life. Of course I accepted.

Plans were made, dates were set, places picked out. On the morning of our wedding, I knew I didn't have to worry about either of us getting cold feet. This was meant to be. We said our vows on a moonlit beach, assorted friends and family around us. The love was heavy in the air that night and I couldn't have dreamed of a better wedding.

30 years, two kids and 3 grand children later, I am looking at my beloved, preparing to say goodbye. I'm not sure how I'll go on in my life without him in it. I just know that I have to continue to live. 

For him.


Welcome to the June edition of Use Your Words. What this is is a post where we all submit a few words and get assigned a few words, then we write a story surrounding those words. Today, we all post to share what we wrote. 

My words were cold feet - peculiar - gloves - sign - Bloomingdale's - elevator and they were submitted by my wonderful friend from Confessions of a part-time working mom. Thanks for the words!! I decided to go a different route with my post and do something a little bit.....controversial. So, I wrote a story about a same sex couple meeting, falling in love, getting married and one passing. Why? Because that is life and that is how it happens in lasting relationships. As you see on the sidebar, this is a LGBTQ friendly page and I am an ally. I'd never written anything like this before, so I hope it was alright.

Wanna read more? Head over and see what my friend have for you!

Southern Belle Charm                           
Spatulas on Parade                     
Climaxed                                                                                            
 

4 comments:

  1. This post gave me chills, Sarah. I can feel the love, and the loss. I am so excited to be living in a world where this is not only a possibility, but it's happening more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the circle of life. Still I don't do well with goodbyes.
    Beautiful story, Sarah - loved what you did with my words! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. sobbing again...so beautifully written...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm 25 years in and I can't imagine saying goodbye either even though I know it will come someday. Then again my father died when I was only 15 you just never know what a lifetime means.

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?