Monday, September 12, 2016

Blog With Friends: The Story of Alvis and Mollie


Today’s post is the next in our series of Blog With Friends theme collaborations. Each month a group of bloggers get together and each publish a project based on a theme. What I love about this partnership is that it’s not bloggers with similar interests or strengths but a diverse group coming up with a variety of posts. In any given month we may have a recipe, sewing tutorial, crafts projects, book review and/or a technology post all related to the theme of the month.


My Dad's parents were two of the most amazing people I've ever met in my whole life. They left this earth way too soon, but they left an impact on me that is ever lasting.

I don't know how they met or even the story of how they feel in love. What I DO know is that they got married when they were 20, on 2/14/41. My Grandpa was in the military, my Grandma, I'm not real sure of what she had going on. I just know that looking through old pictures of them is one of my favorite things.

My Dad is the baby, their last born. I am his only child and the youngest grandchild, so I was babied a bit more than the rest. I had a special relationship with my grandparents, I loved them so and they loved me. I would go to church with my Grandma every Sunday. It was something I enjoyed doing. I looked forward to Sunday dinner, even though it was served at 3. My Grandpa used to shave his face at the table, using a wash basin and the foam shaving cream that came in a cup. When I was there, he would always say "hey girl...come in here and paint my face!" I'd go in and he'd let me lather up his face and nose and I'd giggle. It was our special thing.
This looks just like his shaving mug
When my Grandma got Renal cancer, my Grandpa was sure to keep vanilla ice cream in the house for her. The chocolate syrup was for me. I was the only grand kid that got to have any ice cream. I'd sit next to my Grandma and eat with her. I also knew where Grandpa hid his Zero candy bars. There was always an extra one for me. When I'd go spend the night with them, he made sure to have chocolate doubledecker Moonpies. We would heat them up in the microwave and eat them with a big glass of milk.

My Grandma passed in August 1992. That was the first time I'd ever seen a grown man cry. After she passed, he was never the same. He was lonely and desolate. I spent as much time as I could with him, but I wasn't who he wanted around.

He wanted her.

He passed in February 1998, 3 days after his 77th birthday and 4 days before their 57th anniversary. He was tired of being without her. I know this. I FEEL this.

Even after all those years, the last time I went to the graveyard, you could still see the indents from his chair on Grandma's grave. That's how often he was there, how long he would stay. They are together, I know this. It's how it should be.

That doesn't make the pain go away. I miss them so, so much. I wish my kids would have gotten to see them. I know they would have adored them. When I find the pain of missing them too much, I eat a Zero or a Moonpie. Or I sit with my eyes closed and a Red's baseball game turned up, like Grandpa used to do. I pretend to talk to them when I need advice.

They are there and listening....

l-r: Uncle DC, Great Grandma, Grandpa
me and my Grandpa
Grandma, Grandpa and my Dad
Grandma and Grandpa
Grandpa in Germany
Grandpa and Grandma
Thank you for taking this walk down memory lane with me, in honor of my grandparents and grandparents everywhere. Happy Grandparents Day!


Please see what my friends have for you!

Karen from Baking in a Tornado
Dawn from Spatula's on Parade
Minette from Southern Belle Charm
Rabia from The Lieber Family
Lydia from Cluttered Genius

3 comments:

  1. I just love these pictures, and your beautiful tribute to two people who clearly meant so much to you, and to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures and the love that shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad had that same shaving mug. He used to use the brush and lather when I was a kid. I think it's only recently that he's switched to shave gel. I can still smell that lather in my head!

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?