Friday, October 7, 2016

Hey Big Spender

I have dreams.
Dreams of one day owning a really nice house, driving a newer, nicer vehicle, sending my kids to school in nice clothes......
Dreams a lot of people who grew up poor have. 
I talk a big game a lot, about how I'm going to save for this or for that, but at the end of the day, when I get money, I spend it so fast, it's not even kinda funny.
When The Hubs and I first met, I would get annoyed with him for spending money thoughtlessly. I wasn't taking the time to realize that I was doing it too, only at that time, I was generally spending on the kids and not on myself. I'm one of those people who, when I spend on myself, I feel guilty because what I bought for me could have went to the kids. It's gotten to be so bad that I once wore a pair of shoes with holes in them because I couldn't bring myself to spend money on me.
Maybe it's because, growing up with a single mom, I didn't have a lot. She tried, she really did, but she had bills to pay and had to support me and my little brother alone. So now, as a mother myself, I try to give my kids the world and my needs and wants often fall to the wayside. 
The Hubs and I try to save, we try to budget to allow for savings, we try to be smart. But it rarely happens.
So why am I okay with that? 
Because even though we are stupid with money, our kids don't suffer. They have all of their needs and most of their wants. 
You can't take it with you when you go, though it would be nice to leave a little and maybe one day, we will wisen up and actually do that. But for right now? We are enjoying what we can. 

So....who's the spender and who's the saver? Neither of us. Makes life easier that way!

This post is part of the secret subject swap. My subject is "If opposites attract and most relationships consist of one spender and one saver, how does that relate to your relationship? Is it a difficult or good balance?" and it was submitted by Never Ever Give Up Hope. Do me a solid and see what my friends have for you?

Baking In A Tornado                    http://www.BakingInATornado.com                         
The Bergham Chronicles            http://berghamchronicles.blogspot.com                                          
Spatulas on Parade                 http://spatulasonparade.blogspot.com
The Diary of an Alzheimer’s Caregiver     http://www.thediaryofanalzheimerscaregiver.com/blog.html
 The Lieber Family Blog                 http://thelieberfamily.com
 Dinosaur Superhero Mommy        http://dinoheromommy.com/   
Southern Belle Charm                    http://www.southernbellecharm. com  
Confessions of a part time working mom    http://thethreegerbers.blogspot.ch/     
Never Ever Give Up Hope                   http://batteredhope.blogspot.com     
Climaxed                                           http://climaxedtheblog. blogspot.com
A Little Piece of Peace       http://little-piece-of-peace. blogspot.com 

7 comments:

  1. There are all kinds of happy. Some people are happy when they spend their money on themselves and have the things they want. Other people are happy when they see their kids happy, when their money goes to whatever their kids need even if they have to wear shoes with holes in them. I like your kind better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got my question. I'm a realist and this is REAL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the saver and hubby is the spender. He's trying to rein himself in so we can pay off debt. It's hard work, but we'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy can I relate, to a T! I try to reconcile my spending with the fact that I buy a bunch of stuff for the same price the husband buys one or two things, but he won't let me do that! I too spend on my kid and my home before myself, but I'm also super thrifty, so that has to count for something right?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard sometimes. I stayed home with my kids when they were little which meant that money was tight most of the time. I think the key is to teach our kids from our mistakes and make them smarter about money. It worked with one of mine...the other not so much. I remember my husband buying me a pair of sneakers because I wouldn't buy them for myself. Well, Pokemon Gold for Gameboy came out the next day and I took the shoes back to buy the game for my son. I thought hubby was going to stroke-out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In our relationship he is definitely the saver, and I am the spender. I spend on everyone. Family, charity, myself - even though as a new Mom I hardly ever bought something for myself. Partly because I was so exhausted that I didn't even find pleasure in trying on clothes for me, and partly because baby clothes are so much cuter, and he really needed them!
    When I buy something nice, but not necessary, I tell myself "what's the point in working so hard if I don't get to have a little fun?"
    The biggest chunk probably goes into our travels, and I consider this money well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the same as you. To a T. We really don't have excess money or savings. I do my best to spend wisely and find deals. I hate spending money on myself, and have major guilt whenever I do. I often go without things, but make sure Gigi doesn't. It's hard to juggle bills, but it eventually works out. I was raised poor, and I want Gigi to have it better than I did. If that means I go without, I'm perfectly okay with that. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete

So....what did you think? And are you THAT Sarah Michelle?